Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Liver Biopsy - work the next day?

(5 Posts)
captainproton Thu 05-Jun-14 21:23:47

Thank you ladies. I've heard you can get pain in your shoulder is that something you have experienced?

BasketzatDawn Thu 05-Jun-14 18:07:26

I'm glad you mentioned the 'fragility', elibean. I was thinking that but couldn't find the words to describe the feeling. I just felt incredibly fatigued when I got home again - had a bath and went to bed for a nice snooze. smileI was lucky in that MrB was here to run around after the children and I just rested and pottered around the house.

Elibean Thu 05-Jun-14 18:00:17

I've had two liver biopsies, and wasn't working at the time - probably could have, to be honest, the next day, but I too bruised the first time and wouldn't have wanted to take the Tube. I sort of felt 'fragile' without actually being in pain or uncomfortable, hard to explain!

I would work from home, and see if you can play it by ear as to how much work you do the next day even from home.

BasketzatDawn Thu 05-Jun-14 17:53:03

You'd definitely need to be off the day after, I'd say. In some places you'd be in hospital overnight after a liver bx. In fact that was my experience each time. I'd say you should be at home for 48 hours anyway. Thing is that risk of bleeding is greater in the hours straight after and you'd be being monitored and on bed rest then. But there is still a small risk for a few days after and really it's not worth taking chances IMO. It's not so much being jolted but presumably you'll have a bag to carry too - and you may get nudged on Tube I suppose. I had a lot of bruising after my first liver bx - I wouldn't have wanted to get elbowed on the tube then! To reassure though, I didn't have so much bruising after subsequent one. smile Can't you just have day off sick the day after and then a couple of days working form home? Hope it all goes well. If you want, you may find more info on the procedure on Patient UK website.

captainproton Thu 05-Jun-14 12:25:38

I have a liver biopsy soon, I have been told no lifting for 4 days after by my consultant. I am trying to work out if I need to put my boss on notice that I may need to work from home the days after the biopsy. I commute on the tube, and was just thinking maybe I ought to see if he will let me work from home. If I can't lift my children in case I might bleed, perhaps running the risk of a jolt on the tube might not be so wise. Or am I over thinking this?

Has anyone had a liver biopsy and worked the next day? Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now