Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mole checking

(6 Posts)
Canihaveonemoreslice Tue 03-Jun-14 23:19:06

I'm a worrier.
I enjoy sunbathing, have quite a lot of moles and have sunburnt in the past.
I try and check my own moles regularly but as I think I'm at risk of a melanoma I would prefer for a dermatologist to check all my freckles and moles etc.
How do I go about this? If I go to the gp as there isn't one that's concerning me I know he will just turn me away.
Can I just pay privately myself? If so is it just a dermatologist I need?

Thanks

lljkk Wed 04-Jun-14 16:15:10

Phone the nearest hospital and tell them you want to see a dermatologist privately (& that you know you don't qualify for NHS referral); they should be able to refer you to a PA for the consultant(s) they employ. Most consultants take private patients and you go thru their secretary or PA to book private appointments. They can tell you what it will cost, etc.

ClockWatchingLady Wed 04-Jun-14 20:26:21

Would the GP really turn you away?
I know someone who has organised with their GP that she will look over her moles every year.

Canihaveonemoreslice Wed 04-Jun-14 23:36:22

The GPS are normally only interested in looking at ones that you think have changed etc, they won't give all your moles a mot check.

I've found a private hospital that offer mole screening so booked myself in. Fingers crossed alls ok. I've just read that as I used sunbeds before age 30, have sunburnt and have more than 50 moles I'm at almost a 60+% chance of melanoma.

lazypepper Thu 05-Jun-14 08:06:10

canihaveonemoreslice - is that statistic true? Blimey - I am in the same situation. I used to cane the sunbeds in my teens and early twenties. have a lot of moles.

I have had a few checked out - and photographed.

I would go to your GP and express your concerns. I see no reason why they can't refer you to dermatology. I am sure it will save the NHS money in the long term ikywim.

You could just pick one out and say you think it has changed shape/texture? the GP isn't to know if you are being totally honest.

lljkk Thu 05-Jun-14 08:09:05

OP's risk factors are shared by a large % of the population who will never develop melanoma. She doesn't meet the needs threshold right now for investigation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now