Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recent smear test waiting times?

(7 Posts)
MumofMadness Tue 03-Jun-14 12:29:33

Hello Ladies, I'm brand new on here so hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I had a smear test 2 weeks ago today. I'm always up to date with them, and in the past have always had the results within 7-10 days even though I'm always advised they could take up to three weeks. I know this doesn't seem majorly late, but I'm freaking out, I suffered from really bad health anxiety nearly 2 years ago and it came flooding back last night, I haven't slept, did the worst thing possible and googled it, seems the lab in Essex turns them around in 7-10 days so now I'm worried it isn't a normal result and the delay is because they have referred me.

I probably sound like a nutjob! When the postman walked up the path this morning I nearly hyperventilated and everytime I think of my two young sons I well up. What a fruitcake! It isn't helped by the fact I bled during sex last week, I had put it down to being back on the pill as this happened before and stopped when I came off it, but now my mind is working overtime.

I guess I'm just after some reassurance that 2 weeks isn't abnormal, and if something was wrong would I hear in the same timescale as I usually get my normal results?

Thanks in advance for any experience/advice xx

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Tue 03-Jun-14 15:33:40

Don't they send the results out more quickly, if there is a problem?

beccajoh Tue 03-Jun-14 15:37:50

I've waited 4 weeks in the past. My last one I got the results after about 2.5 weeks I think.

onestepbeyond Tue 03-Jun-14 15:42:38

Just had my smear this morning and they said two - three weeks. I think if they find something wrong they get in touch sooner so probably a case of no news is good news.

Elibean Tue 03-Jun-14 15:45:56

3-4 weeks around here (London) smile

MumofMadness Wed 04-Jun-14 15:07:47

Thanks for your replies everyone. I rang my surgery this morning and they said they've just changed the lab they use so are taking a little longer than they used to to get the results out. Feeling a lot calmer today!

Jinty64 Wed 04-Jun-14 21:23:36

We always used to get the results within two weeks. My recent one was 5 weeks exactly. I would expect them to let you know quite quickly if there was a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now