Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had stomach ache with naproxen?

(18 Posts)
stonecircle Mon 02-Jun-14 16:42:57

I took a course for about a month for incredibly painful feet (plantar fasciitis). During that time I had what I can only describe as an intermittent low level ache in my stomach. When I finished the course the pain came back in my feet so the dr put me on another course.

I didn't really link the naproxen with the stomach ache at first but I'm fairly certain it stopped when I finished the first course. Now I'm on a second course I'm getting it every day - worse on an afternoon and it's currently happening every day without fail. It's not a pain, just a dull ache. I think I'm going to have to knock the Naproxen on the head and see if my stomach improves. But I wondered if anyone else had had similar side effects? I've been taking omeprozole as well which I understand protects the stomach.

Matildathecat Mon 02-Jun-14 18:21:50

Well it could definitely be the naproxen and could even result in an ulcer so see your GP ASAP. Are you taking it with food? And naproxen can come with enteric coating for additional safety.

Don't ignore...

3littlefrogs Mon 02-Jun-14 18:29:40

Naproxen, Ibuprofen (Nurofen), diclofenac can all cause serious stomach problems including ulceration and bleeding. They should never be taken on an empty stomach.

You must go back and see your GP.

stonecircle Mon 02-Jun-14 18:50:35

Have never taken on an empty stomach - dh once ended up in A&E in agony having taken strong ibuprofen on an empty stomach so I know the risks. But I'm not in pain - just a dull background ache. Am going to stop them now and see what happens.

QueenChrysalis Mon 02-Jun-14 18:53:15

I had them a while and was fine but the second time I tried them I had awful tummy cramps. The GP said to stop them and check after you go to the loo for black stool - this indicates bleeding in the stomach which they can cause. It may take a while for the pain to stop after taking them.

Maiziemonkey Mon 02-Jun-14 20:03:27

I've had this with diclofenac- very similar drug.
be vigilant with having food first - i leave about 20 mins then have the pill. really your doc should prescibe you a tummy protector for it

Maiziemonkey Mon 02-Jun-14 20:08:02

I've had this with diclofenac- very similar drug.
be vigilant with having food first - i leave about 20 mins then have the pill. really your doc should prescibe you a tummy protector for it

I was given naproxen for migraine. Doctor gave me a prescription for omazeprole at same time telling me naproxen would cause stomach ache.

CoteDAzur Mon 02-Jun-14 21:01:58

Stomach ulcer?

"It is often combined with a proton-pump inhibitor (a medication that reduces the production of stomach acid) like esomeprazole, during long-term treatment or in those with pre-existing stomach ulcers or a history of developing stomach ulcers while on NSAIDs, due to its potential for causing stomach ulcers, especially after long-term use."

From the Naproxen Wiki page.

MrsPnut Mon 02-Jun-14 21:05:20

I would go back to your doctor. I have naproxen prescribed but because of the other meds I take, I also have omeprazole to take at the same time as it reduces the stomach acid levels and can help prevent the worst of the symptoms.

stonecircle Mon 02-Jun-14 21:07:20

As I said in my OP, am taking omeprazole as well - once a day and naproxen twice a day.

fridayfreedom Mon 02-Jun-14 21:08:40

Had to stop taking it despite taking omeprazole with it as I still got really bad stomach cramps.

stonecircle Mon 02-Jun-14 21:16:15

I'm under quite a lot of stress at the moment and thought it might be related to that but it does sound like it might be the Naproxen.

sleepdodger Mon 02-Jun-14 21:17:57

Yes I did
And nosebleeds
Why have the prescribed it- in my case it was a lazy prescription to mask cause of pain rather than fully resolve it by physio as that's more time consuming and expensive...

stonecircle Tue 03-Jun-14 20:50:52

Well I haven't taken any Naproxen since yesterday morning and haven't had any stomach ache today at all. So I guess that proves the link.

SocialMediaAddict Tue 03-Jun-14 20:57:39

Yes. And they made me feel so sick I had to stop taking them.

KierkegaardGroupie Wed 04-Jun-14 01:07:09

I took my first dose today for uti. Yes I am having stomach cramps right now...not taking g anymore but pharmacist did warn me so I would rather deal with the other pain.

Matildathecat Wed 04-Jun-14 12:01:43

If you feel the naproxen really helps your pain but you can't tolerate it ( you don't mention if you have had the enteric coated ones), then you could try suppositories. Volterol which is another NSAID does them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now