Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

are there environmental causes for acid reflux?

(12 Posts)
SpottieDottie Mon 02-Jun-14 16:42:33

Just that really, whenever I am away on holiday I have no acid reflux but within a day of being home it starts again. It's been the case for the last four years now.

Lisad1975 Tue 03-Jun-14 07:06:17

Stress ?
Mine started after a rather stressful period in my life and strangely so did my sisters tho hers is far worse than mine.

SpottieDottie Tue 03-Jun-14 07:24:12

I had wondered about that, holidays are generally relaxing compared to at home and it can't be the food as I'm sensible at home whereas on holiday I eat whatever I like.
Not sure how I can fix it though! Work is quite stressful most days.

HopeClearwater Tue 03-Jun-14 16:42:21

What do you drink at work? Coffee?

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 03-Jun-14 17:40:46

Stress is one of the causes of my mum's reflux.

SpottieDottie Tue 03-Jun-14 18:31:50

Water during the day and one cup of coffee in the mornings - the same as on holiday.

gingeroots Tue 03-Jun-14 20:14:34

Anyone with ongoing acid reflux should discuss it with their GP .

For years I thought reflux was just one of those things but I ended up with oesphageal cancer . Reflux is a big risk factor as the acid damages the lining of the throat .

OP - do you wear looser clothes on holiday ,eat in a more relaxed fashion,sleep with more pillows ? Might make a difference .

susiedaisy Tue 03-Jun-14 20:18:17

I reckon it's the water

SpottieDottie Tue 03-Jun-14 21:03:42

Oh, I didn't know that, I'll see the GP, I tend to wear the same clothes as I can wear casual clothes at work. I probably,relax over meals more though.

Parietal Tue 03-Jun-14 21:07:25

my dad once got it every time he stayed in a particular relatives house. when they threw out the old guest bed & got a new one, he never had it again. must have been some allergy to the bed?

chockbic Wed 04-Jun-14 14:07:39

Mine can get worse depending on the mattress, so could be that.

Superworm Wed 04-Jun-14 17:12:03

I had terrible reflux for years. It was much better abroad especially Asia and South America. I was diagnosed with coeliac disease and the lower gluten content in their diets helped .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now