Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone explain what it's like after having teeth out ( wisdom ) when coming round form GA?

(34 Posts)
marne2 Sun 01-Jun-14 11:15:30

Sorry for posting again but I'm very anxious.

Having 6 teeth taken out in hospital tomorrow including 3 wisdom teeth (2 bottom and one top). I have never had a anaesthetic before so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm worried that I will wake up with a mouth full of cotton wall ( which will make me gag) or a mouth full of blood, also worried about how much pain there will be ( I am a wimp ). I am taking arnica in hope it helps me recover quickly, I have 2 dd's with autism so I can afford to be out of action for more than a day or 2.

Can anyone explain what to expect when I come round?

marne2 Mon 02-Jun-14 18:06:08

Just got home, one side is completely fin and the other is painful and very swollen. Trying to eat mashed banana mad a yoghurt. Has to be the best way to lose weight as it's taking me ages to suck on a frube smile.

Hospital was a nightmare, hade to wait 4 and a half hours before I went in, was then rushed to stand up which caused lots of bleeding.

Sit down, look after yourself. Did the hospital prescribe some pain relief to bring home? Make sure you take it, if not, paracetamol and/or ibuprofen. Make sure you time it so you can have a dose before bed.

Waiting times in day wards are often long, it's unfortunate that happened to you. Hope you feel better soon.

Fathertedfan Mon 02-Jun-14 19:56:19

Oh bless you. Glad you are home safe and sound and that it's now behind you. Sorry that you had a tough time of it today. I was sent home with ibuprofen and strong paracetamol . Told to take them alternately, every 3 hours. Don't forget the salt water mouth washes, but be gentle. Hope you get a good night's sleep

marne2 Mon 02-Jun-14 20:05:51

They didn't give me any meds, just have to take paracetamol and ibroprofen . Due some soon so going to drug myself up and go to bed. Am taking the arnica too in hope it helps. Just seems to be the right hand side that's hurting, the rest is ok, hopefully tomorrow will be better, my lovely dsd is sending me some home made soup in the morning.

marne2 Tue 03-Jun-14 08:28:49

Trying to eat a yoghurt is like trying to get baby food in a babies mouth sad, I am starving but can't open my moth wide enough! has taken me half an hour to eat half a yoghurt. On the plus side 'this must be the best diet ever' grin.

Hope the swelling goes down soon as dh is back to work tomorrow and I will need to do the school run ( unless I can get my mother to do it).

Cried this morning when I looked in the mirror, not liking the hamster look.

Are you using a teaspoon to eat? I did & it helped. Hope you feel better soon OP, it's rotten isn't it.

TheWanderingUterus Tue 03-Jun-14 09:44:42

Ice cream is better if you can manage, it will cool the inflammation a bit inside. My dentist sent me home with a voucher for two pints of ice cream and that's all I ate for the first day.

Best. Day. Ever grin.

It wasn't in this country though! I was also told to avoid hot foods and drinks for the first 48 hours. I had one day in bed and was almost back to normal by the end of day two, just ate soft foods for a week.

marne2 Tue 03-Jun-14 19:46:54

Thank you, have managed to eat something more substantial tonight and dh bought me a ice pack which has helped a little with the swelling, have been feeling a bit sleepy today but hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

marne2 Fri 06-Jun-14 10:18:41

Can anyone tell me the signs of infection? I'm feeling so sick and shaky but my mouth seems to be heeling ( just a small amount of pain ), my mouth tastes vile in the morning but fine during the day, look like I have been in a fight with mike Tyson but swelling has gone down quite a bit ( just very bruised), was brave enough to take a look in my mouth this morning now I can open it wider, all looks ok other than there seems to be a bit of tooth/bone sticking out of my gum by another tooth. I just don't understand why I feel so ill, could it have a infection or have I just picked up some other illness?

Should I go to my gp or dentist today and get checked over? Worried I will be ill over the weekend and not be able to see anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now