Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Elastic band around leg

(10 Posts)
TheUnemployableLeech Fri 30-May-14 21:18:20

It feels like I have an elastic band around my leg (mid-calf level). Obviously I don't, not worn any socks today (not do I possess any that go so high!) and it's annoying. No pain, just feel it's there all the time. Been like it a day or so. Any ideas? Thanks

stinkypants Sat 31-May-14 09:16:08

Any calf pain should be checked out as a matter of urgency as it could be a blood clot. This can lead to the clot breaking free and traveling e.g. To lungs or brain. Don't mean to sound OTT but it can be fatal. Am speaking from experience.

TheUnemployableLeech Sat 31-May-14 10:58:03

It's not painful as such. It's just a weird sensation, a bit tingling, although it felt burning around the back of my leg when I was out walking in town earlier. We were out hiking yesterday, but it doesn't feel like muscle pain. So I should call the doctor? (Who is closed today) if there is no pain, should I leave it til Monday or call the ooh helpline?

gingeroots Sat 31-May-14 11:48:30

I'm with stinkypants on this . Personally think you should go to A&E .

Sorry ,I know it's not what you want to hear ,but if it's nothing serious no harm done and if there's a more serious cause then it needs attention .

I used to almost pride myself in carrying on regardless of my symptoms . Now oesphageousless and minus a bit of my stomach I can really put all that carrying on into good practice (smile)

stinkypants Sat 31-May-14 13:26:55

Definitely needs checking before Monday. My friend had intermittent pain in calf but thought perhaps it was cramp. She is no longer with us, tragically leaving behind young children and husband. It was a few weeks after giving birth. Otherwise totally healthy.
Have u had an operation lately or been pregnant, anything involving sitting still?
Hopefully it's nothing but I would urge you to get it checked.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Sat 31-May-14 19:56:48

Could it be sciatica? Have you had any twinges in your back or buttock?

TheUnemployableLeech Sat 31-May-14 20:28:03

I called the health insurance phone line (I have to call it before I can take an appointment with an on-duty or go to A&E) and the woman got a doctor to call me back. She said it is most likely that it's caused by strain on my knees from Thursday (hiking and climbing) and not likely to be caused by flying (Monday and Tuesday) as the flights were not long ones. Or could be from a vitamin deficiency. Or back. As there is no pain, discolouration or swelling I am to see how it goes, if it worsens to call again, if it is still there to call my doctor on Monday.

I did read that this sort of feeling could be caused by an ovarian cyst so I shall ask about that if I go to the doctor.

No real twinges in the back, a bit uncomfortable when i was hiking down with DD the other day, but not pain.

No operation, only sitting still in the car, not pg recently.

stinkypants Sun 01-Jun-14 07:14:45

Really glad u spoke to doc, hope it turns out to be just from your hike.

MonterayJack Sun 01-Jun-14 10:03:35

Does your leg feel weak, clumsy or stiff? Any weakness, clumsiness or stiffness in that leg when you walk? Any eye pain or vision probs (double or blurry vision) ? Any dizziness or light-headedness? Unusual tiredness?

If it carries on would def get checked out and ask GP to check reflexes in that knee/foot. Very occasionally a tight band sensation in a limb can have a neurological cause.

TheUnemployableLeech Mon 02-Jun-14 19:15:53

Ok, so DH gave my legs a massage Saturday night. Sunday I didn't feel it any more (only faintly towards the end if the afternoon and after another hike). Today, not much in the morning, but this evening almost constant with a tingling in my knee at the side and almost burning sensation behind it. It does feel a bit weak sometimes, but I've a history of knee injury so it occasionally does. Although not swollen at the moment, and the knee itself doesn't feel like it's misbehaving (goes through phases of collapsing on me).

Not sure what double vision is, I've been getting flashes where it seems my eyes are out of sync with each other and trying to focus individually but compensate for each other so everything flickers. Spoke to the optician and he said it could be I need a change in lens correction or a couple of other possibilities. (Didn't day what).

Often get dizzy/light headed because have low blood pressure. Having a non-sleeping phase at the moment plus being up with kids when they wake means I'm always tired!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now