Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please can someone explain different types of cervical smears?

(3 Posts)
newnametoday1 Tue 13-May-14 10:56:50

I have name changed for this. Being told by GP I have several years to wait for my next cervical smear I am concerned and have decided I will pay for one. I am confused though. When I look there look like there are different types of smears ( e.g. pap) and different thoughts as to what is best. Is anyone able to explain the differences between types of smears and what current opinion say is the best type to have. Thanks.

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Tue 13-May-14 13:16:27

I thought you got recalled every three years whether you liked it or not. You would be quite welcome to my appointment, if I could do that!

The old PAP smear, with the wooden spatula and slide has been replaced with lbc, which is more accurate. This is what they use in the NHS now, if it is any help in choosing.

www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/cervical/lbc.html

Runkittyrun Wed 14-May-14 23:04:22

LBC is still a Pap (short for Papanicolaou). Not sure what you mean by different types OP? Some private providers may be offering additional tests at the same time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now