Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Occasional shooting pain in chest- what is it?

(7 Posts)
hellymelly Mon 12-May-14 20:25:25

Weeks ago I suddenly had some sharp, shooting electric shock like pains in my chest, either shooting down one arm, or up into my neck. Lasting only a second, but a bit scary. I had a few over the course of a weekend, so I went to the GP. He though it was probably just that I was feeling ectopic beats, and nothing to worry about. I was still a bit worried (I am generally prone to palpitations and ectopics, which frighten me anyway), but I didn't have any more, so I slightly forgot about them. Anyway, just had another, sharp shooting pain, from my chest, up the side of my neck. I had had a run of palpitations a few minutes earlier (which I get a lot anyway at the moment). So does anyone think this is worrying? Or should i try and relax about them? I have an underactive thyroid, and am 50, so maybe hormonal? Family friend dropped dead of a heart attack out of the blue last week which isn't helping me relax about this!

hellymelly Mon 12-May-14 21:31:10

No-one? I was hoping for loads of people to come forward and say "oh I get that, 'tis nothing" or similar...

IFoughtTheLaw Mon 12-May-14 22:37:17

I think it might be anxiety about your friend - not that you're thinking yourself ill but that it can be very powerful to suddenly tune in to an area of your body

However pain AND palpitations would be worrying enough for me to see GP, even if I wouldnt if having just one or the other

hellymelly Tue 13-May-14 09:43:58

Don't think it is anxiety as when it happened a month or two ago our friend was fine. Also it happens at times when I am quite relaxed , last night I was lying down with my dds, the ones a while ago were when I was watching television or noodling about on the computer. However once I get one then I do get really anxious that I am about to have another.

Worriedkat Sat 24-May-14 09:29:03

I am having the same. GP said she could hear a very faint heart murmur and I have been referred for a heart echo (ultrasound). I am scared stuff I'm going to drop dead any minute though the gp said this wouldn't happen. How are you getting on?

hellymelly Sat 24-May-14 21:24:29

I have only had the odd faint twinge in the past week or so. I haven't ever had a heart ultrasound, although in the past I have had the 24 hour tracer thing as I get a lot of palpitations. I find it all v.scary so I understand you must feel scared, my GP wasn't worried but if it goes on I will have to go back I suppose. I hate not knowing if it is something bad, or just a meaningless twinge of pain. Hope your echo is all fine Worriedkat.

RussianBlu Sat 24-May-14 22:52:45

I get similar, scary heart pains like someone is sticking needles in and sometimes the pain shoots up an arm, I also get heartbeats that I can only describe as a butterflies wings quickly moving, kind of fluttery. I have no idea why it happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now