Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

A bit of an intimate question

(8 Posts)
fivecupsoftea Mon 12-May-14 14:33:54

Has anyone got any clue what causes high libido? I have it and I feel a bit uncomfortable during the day at times. I don't feel 100% well in other ways, and I was wondering if the high libido, (if I knew what was causing it) might give me a clue to the rest of my health problems. I mentioned it to the doctor but she didn't really say much.

PurplePunkPrincess Mon 12-May-14 15:14:51

I don't think there are any health problems that could cause a high libido. I also have this 'problem'

I did read a funny article about the downside of a woman's high sex drive (written by and to men) and one of the reasons a woman has a high sex drive is down to never feeling fully satisfied. I can honestly say that after a full session I have often felt I have 'run out' of orgasms but by the morning or next day may feel just as horny, I don't think it's from not feeling fully satisfied.

What are the health concerns you have out of interest?

1959feelingyoung Mon 12-May-14 20:43:59

Look up a condition called PGAD. Sounds like that to me.

fivecupsoftea Tue 13-May-14 14:23:05

Thanks so much 1959 for the suggestion. I looked up PGAD, one of the first things I read is that it is often associated with restless leg syndrome. I get that a bit. It also mentions neuropathy. I have POTS which is associated with neuropathy. I didn't think I had any neuropathy.

Mitchy1nge Tue 13-May-14 14:25:47

hypomania?

Mitchy1nge Tue 13-May-14 14:26:20

(have bipolar and can suffer from the most terrible and unrelenting horn)

shouldnthavesaid Tue 13-May-14 19:36:05

Do you mean a physical sensation of arousal or just a desire (i.e. not always feeling aroused)?

If it's the former, I'd persist with the doctor. Try and mention how much it affects your life - i.e. if you orgasm too easily/randomly, if you have to masturbate very frequently to relieve the sensation, if you can't concentrate on basic tasks, ask DP for sex a lot, etc, if you're becoming sore down there, etc.

If it's it the latter, would still persist with the doctor but it could easily be boredom, or a means of relieving frustration from something else..

Have you had your hormones tested, for testosterone levels etc?

Some of us have a high libido anyway, regardless of anything specific causing it, mine has always been quite high to be honest.

fivecupsoftea Tue 13-May-14 21:53:34

Thanks for the suggestions Shouldn'thave. I think I'm just going to leave it. I'm a bit uncomfortable with it at times, but I can live with it. My recent experiences have left me with no faith in doctors. I don't want to take medication for it and that is all they seem to offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now