Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Fixed braces and teeth brushing

(33 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Sun 11-May-14 21:42:16

DS1 having his train tracks fitted tomorrow.

Those of you whose DS and DD have them do they really take a toothbrush to school with them for after lunch?

TheMightyMing Mon 12-May-14 21:38:13

On what a shame as those teeth are lovely and straight sad

My son has the beginning of a dodgy tache- not quite ready to shave yet but not far off smile

When I was growing up- braces were the work of a devil. Now they seem to be cool!!

Just glad we were NHS funded- otherwise it would have been 2k plus.

Glad your son is ok Jung.

Jungfraujoch Mon 09-Jun-14 17:21:32

Oh dear sad

DS1 just been read the riot act over his oral hygiene by the dentist. He's also going to write to the Orthodentist recommending the brace comes off if it doesn't improve because otherwise his teeth will rot!

DS1 has retreated to his room in tears, having also been told off by his Dad who took him to the dentist.

Thinking I'm going to have to go hardcore and completely ban fizzy drinks (he's been allowed the odd glass if we're out). He loves his cakes and biscuits too - any thoughts on the 'best' biscuits for this situation?!!

Angelto5 Mon 09-Jun-14 17:32:09

Your poor dshmm
My son has had train tracks abt 18 months & he likes chocolate chip cookies.
Also does ur ds use mouth wash too?

Jungfraujoch Mon 09-Jun-14 17:49:43

Hi Angel - he likes those too!
He uses Listerine but I think someone mentioned Fluoriguard was a good one?

Angelto5 Tue 10-Jun-14 09:57:34

My ds is not fussy-he has the cheap mouth wash. But he does love his cookies.

Lancelottie Tue 10-Jun-14 10:06:01

Jungfrau, if it's any comfort, DS was equally shoddy about toothbrushing until he started on the fixed braces. Scary lectures during brace-tightening (every few weeks) hammered the message home in a way that parental nagging never had, and he's really started to look after them.

Now has clean, shiny, straight white teeth shame about the one he chipped

Jungfraujoch Tue 10-Jun-14 13:10:07

That's encouraging Lance. I'm just going to keep nagging reminding though for now!

Lancelottie Tue 10-Jun-14 14:28:54

Good luck! DS tried (once and once only) to claim that he would have brushed his teeth better if I'd woken him up earlier. He got a withering look from the dental nurse and a comment of 'How old are you -- five?'

We use cheap Sainsbo's mouthwash but one that has the same fluoride strength as Fluorigard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now