Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, TODAY at 1pm x

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Weird periods and other shit

(8 Posts)

Retrying with simpler information as my last thread was a bit misread, and the plot thickens!

Have had two babies close together, ds in jan 2011, 2 normal periods, then dd in dec 2012. Got my first period in dec 2013. 3 months of normality, then 2 months ago, my period would stop for 24 hours and restart.

This month, I had a single gush of blood and nothing since, which was on day 32 (periods have been between 29-31 days).

Doctor was ridiculously dismissive and I'm very worried.

Can anyone shed any light?

If it's relevant, I'm 30 with no family history of an early menopause, but currently always shattered and literally unable to lose weight. In the last six months I've tried the following diets religiously for a month to six weeks and lost nothing - 600cal exante, 1400 cal my fitness pal counting calories, slimming world.

Each time I've wondered if it's just not suited my body, but there is clearly SOMETHING wrong.

Have you had a blood test done to see what your hormone levels are like?. This should be done as a matter of course. Reading your symptoms made me think of possible problems with the thyroid gland.

It is always an option as well to change GP practice if the current doctor is dismissive.

naty1 Sat 10-May-14 09:14:17

I thought thyroid too. But not sure what diet names mean but if it means 600 calories a day if you do only eat that much im sure it wouldnt do your hormones much good.

Dr said a blood text wouldn't tell us anything. She's a complete tit. Yeah, exante is 600cals over 3 shakes. sad

VenusDeWillendorf Sat 10-May-14 15:16:44

Insist on a thyroid test, and insist on seeing an endocrinologist.

Change GP if this one is useless, you deserve better healthcare than a dismissive tit.

Thank you, I will. They are useless. They took 10 months to diagnose and treat my severely refluxy baby and still having issues with them re that now.

Change GPs; it is no point at all in trying to work with doctors who are dismissive.

We're moving to Scotland in less than 9 weeks so I don't know if it's worth trying to re-register down here. I am, however, still registered at my old docs in Scotland under my maiden name, and will be going home hopefully next week for my new niece or nephew (dsil currently being induced), and they are far superior, so I will ask for referrals etc next fri or Monday at an appt with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now