Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Piles/intimate skin tags or bowel ops

(16 Posts)
Farmergile99 Fri 09-May-14 18:12:47

I've name changed as this is embarrassing.

When pregnant with dd I developed massive piles, they healed but due to the stretch that they caused it's left what they call a skin tag on my anus. This basically looks like a deflated pile blush so on top of the embarrassment this causes me, I also get flare up of piles. I've had them banded which hasn't worked so now the gp has said I'll need an op to sort out the flare ups and he may be able to help with the tag(although it's not guaranteed how much he can help with it) whilst I was with dh I didn't get too embarrassed about it but now I'm separated and dating I am massively conscious of it. What makes it worse is the fact piles is never spoken about so I feel I can't even say anything to him about whats wrong with me.
So what Im wondering if any of you have had any ops to sort their piles out, if so what was the op like? Also is there anyone else who has skin tags in that area used by piles?

Hoping I'm not the only one with this sad

snoggle Fri 09-May-14 18:17:00

It's really quite common I think! Yes I had some tags removed and lots of banding, similar situation as you. Hurt like buggery <pun> but worth it IMO.

Only problem is I've been PG twice again since then and now need more doing...

lazypepper Fri 09-May-14 18:42:51

Yep. I had skin tags chopped off my anus a few months ago. It was done under general anaesthetic oon a day surgery basis. Recovery was painful. Pnly for about a week tgough. Full recovery took a couple of months
They didn't remove all of them though so am booked in for further surgery. So it can't be so bad.

Get it sorted.

Farmergile99 Sat 10-May-14 08:11:40

Ow thankfully I found other people with it.

The consultant suggested doing thd(it's where they stitch the blood vessels leading to the pile to tie them off), which I've read is painful with about 2weeks recovery and hurts like buggary when you go to the loo. This would help with my piles. However I don't know whether to chicken out of this op and instead just ask him to remove the skin tag.
How painful was it to get the tag removed? Mine looks like a deflated pile stuck to my arse.

lazypepper Sat 10-May-14 12:56:11

I was asleep. So painless. The worst part was about 3 to 6 days after when the healing stitched area tightened. But am pleased it was done.

Top tip keep bowel movements regular amd soft. Bwfore and after. It really does help. Especially if painkillers are codeine based.

eurochick Sat 10-May-14 12:59:17

I had a polyp/skin tag removed under general. The recovery was awful (I could feel the stitches bursting when I had a poo). It regrew within weeks. I've decided to live with it!

swooosh Sat 10-May-14 13:35:41

I work in theatre and the surgeons tend to tell patients to avoid having it done as the operation is more painful than living with them?

mrsbucketxx Sat 10-May-14 13:41:25

i need to get mine sorted, when i went to the gp he discounted that i needed them removed but it bothers me.

thank god i'm married cant imagine how you would explain to a singleton what they are.

Canihaveonemoreslice Sun 11-May-14 09:09:10

Mixed reviews then. It's costume tic and hygiene reasons I would like the skin tag removed but medical reasons off the piles. I get flare ups at least every month. Standing/sitting too long causes them. Squatting, pooing too much/too little. It seems anything I do makes them flare up sad

cardamomginger Sun 11-May-14 14:11:57

I had a HALO procedure for piles - they use ultrasound to locate the blood vessels and then tie them off. No cutting. Not hugely painful and having a poo after was fine.

Also have tags, which the HALO did not sort out. I've had to have a lot of major gynae surgery and have had big problems with pelvic floor spasm so the surgeon really doesn't want to cut if he can help it. I might just have to live with them.

Farmergiles37 Mon 26-May-14 22:51:51

Has anyone else had any ops for piles. Ive read so many Scarey online stories I am terrified now of the op. I've decided I'll go just for the thd for now but could really do with some real life experiences to help me decide if operations the best thing. Thanks

twilight81 Tue 27-May-14 01:16:12

Ooo I'm due to have some tags removed in two weeks.. They are left over from piles. I have put it off a few times after reading horror stories online of the pain afterwards. My sureon says they will not stitch the wounds after but leave them to heal naturally, less chance of infection apparently? I am totally dreading it..but after splitting with my long term partner I too feel so self conscious about it.

lazypepper Tue 27-May-14 17:40:47

Update from me.

I had my surgery last Tuesday - second time around removing the remaining tags.

Well, recovery has been so much easier than last time. Put it this way, today i have done the ironing and vacuuming. I even managed to drive myself to the hospital for a blood test two days afterwards.

The first time I had 3 large tags removed- with stitches. I think the stitches were partly why it was so uncomfortable afterwards. I have no stitches this time. Bowel movements haven't been terribly uncomfortable, although i have been very aware of the need to drink a lot of water and to eat fruit and veggies galore.

I am not totally healed up yet. There is still a bit of 'seepage'. Ugh. I just make sure i have a bath or two each day - and wear a pant liner. It is getting lighter- and there isn't much bleeding when i go to the loo.

Hopefully this helps those of you who are in two minds.

cardamomginger Tue 27-May-14 19:13:09

Well done! Take it easy though!!

How did you manage to not have stitches?

Really hope you get a good result and you continue to heal well thanks.

grimbletart Tue 27-May-14 19:28:58

Farmergiles: I had full-on surgery for really bad piles many years ago. First poop was toe curling TBH but I've had no trouble since. Am so glad I had it done as they were really ruining my quality of life.

Farmergiles37 Tue 27-May-14 22:42:38

Lazy pepper, glad the removal of the tags has gone well for you.

I know I need an op to sort my piles ou, t but reading all the horror stories on line is almost making me back out of the op. They will do halo/thd where they stitch the arteries to the piles and they then drop off and then give my bowel a lift to put everything back in place.

I don't know if it's because I'm stressing out about them or if I'm more aware of them now I have a new partner, but I feel my life is now dictated by piles. I've been decorating today and the constant standing has made everything swell up again. I've got every pile cream or sepository in an effort to stop them getting too painful. I'm even taking vein strengthening tablets and stool softness.

I need the skin tag sorted too but have decided to get the piles done first.

Twilight- i know how it feels, when I was with my husband I just got used to them but now having a new partner I feel so selfconsious of them and it's stressing me out trying to avoid glare ups of the piles or to stop him seeing the tags sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now