Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How often DO planned surgeries get cancelled?

(10 Posts)
lazypepper Fri 09-May-14 17:51:35

I had an appointment for next week for an operation. It's nothing major- a day case - and just finishing off what the surgeon didn't/couldn't do in a previous surgery.

I have made a lot of plans - cancelled other appointments, made arrangements for childcare etc.

But I then received a letter today informing me that due to unforeseen circumstances my planned operation has been cancelled. A little bit of an apology - and that new date will follow.

Does this happen often? I truly had no inkling that this would be the case. I got my date through last week, after waiting, and me badgering the waiting list staff. I assumed that all would go to plan.

ALovelyBunch0fCoconuts Fri 09-May-14 18:32:01

Unfortunately it does happen quite a lot in our trust.

TrustMeImLying Fri 09-May-14 18:42:16

I had an op cancelled 3 times, on the last time I pointed out that I was now breaching the 18 week wait guideline and ended up having the op the next week. PALS can be pretty useful on this situation.

lazypepper Fri 09-May-14 18:45:33

3 times? ???

I can tolerate beimg put back once, but won't be happy if it's more.

The pre op assessment was 6weeks agp so I hope that is still valid.

Matildathecat Fri 09-May-14 19:46:22

Yes, sadly you having to rearrange childcare etc means diddly squat.sad

My friend have her last spinal surgery cancelled twice - the second cancellation was when she was actually at the hospital on the day. It's unfortunate, but sometimes it's because you've been bumped for someone who needs to be seen urgently. If you're getting to the end of the 18 week deadline then you should make a bit of noise - you should take priority over someone who's been waiting a shorter time.

NinetyNinePercentTroll Fri 09-May-14 19:55:44

Very frequently in my Trust. Unfortunately it is mostly for unavoidable reasons - the most common being no recovery beds available.

Barbie1 Sat 10-May-14 09:57:55

My dm was due to have a mastectomy on Tuesday. She was put onto the ward, gowned up and then after an 8 hour wait her op was cancelled.

CannulaNellie Sat 10-May-14 10:06:51

Unfortunately it happens all the time, it is distressing and inconvenient for the patient who has been cancelled (esp if they are in hospital and are nbm).

As others have said though it is usually because emergencies are being prioritised.

Sorry you're upset though, it's a real pain for you.

lazypepper Sat 10-May-14 12:52:40

It's more common than I thought then. I suppose at least I got a week's notice.
I feel bad for all those who were cancelled at thw last minute. That's pretty unfair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now