Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oil pulling

(12 Posts)
MiaSparrow Thu 01-May-14 11:05:47

Latest health/beauty 'fad' I know, but I'm intrigued. Have you tried it? Would you recommend? Which oil do you use? I'm tempted to try with coconut for teeth whitening benefits too. Would love to know others' experiences!

onetiredmummy Thu 01-May-14 17:07:21

Just marking place, sorry smile

I want to try it too but I'm not sure I can, if I have mouthwash in my mouth I have to spit it after 30 sec or I feel sick.

DoctorTwo Thu 01-May-14 17:31:56

I started on Monday and haven't noticed any benefits yet. I'm using coconut oil.

MiaSparrow Fri 02-May-14 11:04:41

How long are you able to do it for Doctor?

MiaSparrow Fri 02-May-14 11:05:04

I know what you mean mummy!

DoctorTwo Fri 02-May-14 13:53:04

Only about two minutes as yet. Obviously I hope to get up to the recommended time sooner rather than later, but I'll do it in my own time.

IndigoBarbie Mon 05-May-14 14:29:57

Coconut oil or sesame oil, and as long as you can manage since swishing around for quite a while the mouth gets all tiresome
benefits: sinus congestion seemed to clear during and after swishing
teeth and gums, cleaner and less 'build up' or tartary smelly breath (yuk...I know) My gums are quite tender, and feel better after the swishing
Been doing on and off for a while, and quite like it as it's all natural and no alcohol or chemicals as in mouth wash. Also, coconut oil is good for viral /bacteria...I believe

mandmsmummy Mon 05-May-14 21:02:34

What's oil pulling? Xx

seventiesgirl Mon 05-May-14 21:10:00

Ditto...

NewLeafExpat Mon 09-Jun-14 13:32:29

I was just reading up on this today... do u do it before or after brushing? do confused...

CateBlanket Mon 09-Jun-14 15:03:11

Just floss instead.

NewLeafExpat Mon 09-Jun-14 17:15:58

I think its supposed to have different benefits to bog standard flossing/mouthrinse.
time to do a Google And give it a try for a couple weeks because I'm intrigued. have recently gone for my annual scale and polish and have sensitive gums sad hopefully this will help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now