Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Side effects of birth control - different after having children???

(8 Posts)
Sarahlouiseis33 Wed 30-Apr-14 21:50:42

Just wanted people's experiences of birth control pre and post children. I took the pill before having my son. One in particular, Yasmin caused me to put on a bit of weight ( around a stone ) whilst none of the others I tried did or if so it was only minimal.
Now I am back on the pill to help my skin and my long periods. I have so far tried:
Mercilon - Flared my IBS up.
Marvelon - Dried my skin out and caused a rash like hives.
Dianette - Made me miserable and bloated, I think this has put some weight on me too as I haven't been eating more than is usual for me.

Pre child these three pills caused me little memorable bad side effects.
Now the doctor has suggested I try yasmin again saying that your hormones change after having kids and I may not get the weight gain I did before. Has anybody found they get on now with pills etc that you didn't before?

Raskova Wed 30-Apr-14 22:01:44

I was on cerazette pre DD trouble free. After DD I got constant spotting and the face of a greasy teenager.

Exactly the opposite of what you say but for the same reason grin

Sarahlouiseis33 Wed 30-Apr-14 22:09:44

Very strange isn't it Raskova I was on dianette pre baby with no troubles. Second time around I had spots and weight gain!!
Cerazette really didn't suit me, I had a 3 month period which only stopped when I come off it, rash like small spots covering my back and shoulders and hair loss!! That pill was the worst for me!!

Raskova Wed 30-Apr-14 22:15:37

That's kind of what I have now. I'm on nacrez which is the same hormone. I look vile.

Why does it have to be so hard?!

What are you going to do then?

I'm undecided but have to change hmm

Sarahlouiseis33 Wed 30-Apr-14 22:23:41

I think I'm going to give the yasmin a try. Seeing as I haven't yet found one that doesn't give me undesirable effects. I will just be extra careful and monitor my weight.
I think all pills must put some weight on me, I know I have gone up about 1/2 a stone since going back on them. I feel bloated and bigger around my stomach and thighs.
It's rubbish though - I'm petrified to try them because of what they might do to me!!
Would you try a combined pill?

Raskova Wed 30-Apr-14 22:28:57

If you need weightloss, try the amazing 5:2 thread on here.

Yes it seems a good idea to give Yasmin a try. I'm sure it won't hurt.

I'm thinking combined pill. I used to hate periods but I don't think they'd get in the way so much anymore. As long as they aren't as painful as when I was younger.

I can't see what else to try. Implant is the same as cerazette. Coil sounds painful. Condoms/diaphragm carry too much risk...

flingingmelon Wed 30-Apr-14 22:32:10

I went back on my old pill and it took a few months to get back to normal. Maybe the same?

Raskova Wed 30-Apr-14 23:19:56

For me, unfortunately not. I tried cerazette for approx 1.5 years. Nacrez for one hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now