Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

GP or not?

(8 Posts)

Sorry - I made the mistake of being bored and hitting google... I should really know better than this!

Symptoms - please tell me what you make of these:

"Pains" in abdomen, where I assume ovaries would be. During the month, about half my average cycle can feel something, sometimes a dull ache, others a sharper pain, not constant. Over 3-4 days when it's the stabby pain its very noticeable but still intermittent.

Painful breasts - again, about half the cycle.

What looks like breast milk discharge one breast (stopped BF at least 3 years ago...) other has a fluid discharge, but not milky, much clearer. This has only been twice in 2 months, around time period due.

Not feeling hungry or full - but suddenly get like a heartburn/indigestion feeling.

Bloating which comes and goes. Usually lasts a week at a time then nothing for a few weeks.

My heart feels like it hurts confused only way to explain it is like it is working too hard, but know that is ridiculous. this comes and goes throughout most days

We are TTC, - testing on 28th but these symptoms have been going on a while

Worth bothering the GP with as have only really noticed them in the last few months?

eurochick Thu 24-Apr-14 13:48:44

Most of that seems normal to me.

I get ovary pains from about day 4 of my cycle until ovulation. As soon as I have ovulated my boobs start hurting until a day or two before my period arrives. I also get very bloated at certain times of the cycle. I'm least bloats during my period, most around ov. Have you considered charting so you can get to know your cycle?

Thanks eurochick, I wanted to avoid going OTT this time, so haven't been charting.
I was most worried about the "milk" - this happened a couple of months ago. AF arrived as normal after and last month had negative preg test followed by AF, so definitely was not pregnant at the time (and google said 14 + weeks this could occur - not what could be causing it for me)

Also I know it is normal after breast feeding, but I haven't done that for 3 years - again outside the "normal" reasons.

I don't wish to waste GP's time being a worrier over nothing, but I have also broken a bone and not gone to hospital until 4 days later as didn't want to be a bother blush

Excess prolactin hormone can cause milky discharge to happen and that can be treated with tablets.

You would not be wasting the GPs time if you present with such symptoms.

Thanks Attila - Is it possible a hormone imbalance can "just" come on suddenly? I don't feel any different in myself, but this is 2nd time in 3 months.

I had a blood test 4 years ago which checked things like thyroid etc. Back then everything was "within normal ranges".

I have been pregnant (and had the baby) since then - could this have given me an imbalance? I feel fine (other than self induced anxiety!)

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 24-Apr-14 15:08:07

I have a prolactinoma and one of the symptoms was leaking milk and my prolactin levels were very high. My periods didn't return after having DS until I was on treatment. I would go see your GP, I have an under active thyroid too.

Thanks.

I will report back once seen GP (appointment Friday next week). Hopefully this can then help anyone with similar symptoms when not pregnant

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 25-Apr-14 20:43:53

Good luck OP! Let us know what they say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now