Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Losing my teeth

(5 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Wed 23-Apr-14 09:18:45

Is there life out there for the gradual toothless? Another trip to the dentist for an extraction. Seems dental plates are the only option. Don't want and can't afford implants which can cause other problems. I know you are mainly young and boasting a full set of choppers but are there any fellow sufferers out there?

Worriedandlonely Wed 23-Apr-14 20:53:53

I never had adult bottom front teeth and was toothless there for much of my teens. Then I got a bridge made up but was obviously very self conscious about it for ages and was teased about it. I also had to have my upper front teeth veneered when young, as a brace left me with bad gaps. So I kind of know what you're going through smile

EmNetta Thu 24-Apr-14 00:06:53

I'm not brave enough to go to the dentist, and have serious pain problems when seated, so my teeth have seen better days (and so has the rest of me, but I do get a different reaction once I talk).
I can't offer any advice, just sympathy, and the realisation that it could be worse. If the rest of the body's OK, you can still do almost anything you'd like, and I'm sure you didn't want to be a model anyway.

RockinD Thu 24-Apr-14 09:10:55

It might be worth getting your vitamin D levels checked. A number of us who have had thyroid issues have found our dental problems much relieved by getting vitamin D levels into the 'replete' band. It's something to do with the body needing adequate levels of vitamin D in order to use calcium.

I was losing a tooth a year at one point. Not good - I feel your pain.

HappydaysArehere Thu 24-Apr-14 23:04:14

Thank you all for your sympathy which I needed as yesterday I had the extraction from hell. Dentist had great trouble removing tooth and when it broke she had to drill into bone to get leverage. There was mention at this point of referral to a surgeon. However, most of root is removed, the rest is fused to a bone which she doesn't think will cause trouble. I am on strong antibiotics to prevent bone infection. You are quite right EmNetta I don't wish to be a model but to eat would be good. I understand about vitamin d but most teeth were lost when I was younger. The latest losses have just tipped me into a problem of gaps which will have to be filled somehow or other. You have no idea how comforting your sympathy has been while in this pain. Cheers to you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now