Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

toxic shock syndrome

(5 Posts)
JokersGiggle Tue 22-Apr-14 22:03:31

I always use tampons. But just got to thinking about the risks of TTS. Didn't know it even existed until a few months ago when I read the Tampax box!
Has anyone experienced it? Can it kill? What's the symptoms and how can I cut my risk?
Think i'm being very health aware at the moment so I could just be making a mountain out of a mole hill......

Twighlightsparkle Tue 22-Apr-14 22:05:50

I think it's very rare.

However if I got gluey symptoms and was using a tampon I'd remove immediately and perhaps seek medical advice , unless I was sure it was a virus.

AFAIK the symptoms start like flu - high temperature, shivery, malaise. Then a rash.
It's always been on the box as a warning ( I knew about it in 1982 grin ) but no-one I know reads the whole information label.

To cut the risks - use only the absorbancy you need (so don't apply a S+ when you need a R just to save having to change it)
Use natural fibre

I think there were tampons in the USA that were banned because they were scented, the plastic applicator had little 'teeth' and they were super absorbancy synthetic.

Wash hands before and after
Remove the last one at the end of your period
Don't double tampons
I was always adviced not to use at night, but I think that's untrue now

And if you leave one in, I think the unholy smell is the first sign

(Years since I had to use , after DC they were nightmarey uncomfortable)

Twighlight do ya mean fluey symptoms rather than gluey symptoms.....my mind was boggling.
(But this is MN, you could well have gluey symptoms) wink

jimijack Wed 23-Apr-14 13:37:47

TSS is life threatening if symptoms are ignored or not recognized.

Its rare as awareness is good nowadays. Spate of deaths highlighted in the media in the 1980's as I recall.

I've seen it on a couple of occasions but that was years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now