Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

What is this? Burning spots on legs.

(9 Posts)
nikki1978 Tue 22-Apr-14 20:32:28

For the last couple of days I keep getting the sensation like someone has just dropped a bit of hot oil or something on my leg. Mainly in the same spot which is just above my kneecap but sometime randomly on other parts of both lower legs.

Should I see the GP or see if it goes away?

I hate going to see them as I have health anxiety so try not to burden them with my worries but I have seen them 3 times in the last month which is unusual for me.

nikki1978 Tue 22-Apr-14 21:48:16

Bump

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 22-Apr-14 21:54:34

Shingles maybe? Some other random virus causing skin hypersensitivity maybe?

Yes, go and see your GP.

2kidsintow Tue 22-Apr-14 21:55:27

My parents and my sister suffer from peripheral neuropathy. My Dad's feels like someone has frozen his feet, my sister says hers feels like someone is splashing her legs with hot water.

See the GP and ask? There is medication to help mute the effects if it is neuropathy.

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 22-Apr-14 21:57:17

With shingles you can get the skin sensitivity and pains for a couple of days before the rash/sores erupt, and it can be treated with antiviral medication but the earlier the better.

nikki1978 Tue 22-Apr-14 23:15:37

Eek! Both don't sound great. I know about shingles but what causes peripheral neuropathy?

2kidsintow Tue 22-Apr-14 23:32:53

Shingles can cause nerve pain.
My sister developed it as a side effect of chemo, but my Dad developed it from having problems with his spine.

Nerve pain can just develop from nowhere though. I have trigeminal neuralgia (nerve pain in the face) and that just appeared from nowhere on its own.

BigPawsBrown Tue 22-Apr-14 23:35:18

Vitamin deficiency - can't remember which one but I had this (feels like you've weed on yourself...) and it went away with a vitamin

2kidsintow Tue 22-Apr-14 23:41:01

Diabetes can cause it too.

If you have nothing that should cause it then it is likely something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now