Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pain under right rib

(15 Posts)
Freezepop Tue 22-Apr-14 16:17:55

I have had a pain under my right rib (right at the bottom) for about 10 months now. I have been to the GP many times. I was first given Lansoprazole which did nothing and then was sent for a chest X-ray and an ultrasound. Both came back clear.

The pain is still there but hasn't got any worse and isn't there all the time. It isn't excruciating pain or anything. More like a dull pain/ache. Occasionally it is itchy on the skin there. DH think it is anxiety/stress related which is possible as I am quite an anxious person and worry about health matters a lot too. He also thinks that now that I have had clear results, he must be right that is is something or nothing and need to stop worrying about it.

I am now stuck between wanting to go back to the docs to try something else and not wanting to seem like a hypochondriac.

Anyone else had this or similar. Should I try again or is it possible that I am just imagining it.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 22-Apr-14 16:52:15

My first idea would be gallstones, but I guess they would have shown up on the ultrasound?

Freezepop Tue 22-Apr-14 16:54:42

Thats what the doctor thought and why he sent me for the ultrasound but nothing showed up.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 22-Apr-14 18:03:14

right...next guess could be a possible inflammatory condition? I have a connective tissue disorder similar to lupus, and get inflammation in my joints and connective tissues, including the connective tissue layer that surrounds my liver, giving me a nagging ache under my right ribs. LFT is usually OK though.

smee Tue 22-Apr-14 19:23:05

I have a pain like that - intermittent but have had it for years (since 20's and in 40's now). Breast Cancer treatment back in 2010 triggered a spiral of tests, so scans, ultrasounds, etc to check it wasn't something sinister - all have always come back clear, so GP says it's just IBS. IBS is a diagnosis which comes from elimination - i.e. we've ruled everything else out, so it must be that. Tedious, but it's not life threatening, so I'll settle for that. smile

LackaDAISYcal Tue 22-Apr-14 19:52:15

ah smee they told me I had IBS for yeaaaarrrrrs...it was actually undiaganised coeliac disease, which was picked up as an afterthought blood test when I was booked in for a colonoscopy years later.

Twighlightsparkle Tue 22-Apr-14 23:19:37

I was diagnosed with a condition I've forgotten the name of but bascically arthritis of the ribs, weird but pain same place.
I know ribs aren't joints but google it and see

Twighlightsparkle Tue 22-Apr-14 23:21:03

Costochondrritis

LackaDAISYcal Wed 23-Apr-14 00:16:39

I get that too twighlight....pain for me is more central though.

Legologgo Wed 23-Apr-14 00:18:02

Mate had this and it ended up being very serious. Do keep checking.

smee Wed 23-Apr-14 09:45:47

Intriguing LackaDAISY… I have just had a coeliac test and it came back negative. But then again they didn't tell me how it worked, so I hadn't eaten any gluten for a week before the test. hmm

LackaDAISYcal Wed 23-Apr-14 09:56:21

that could give you a false negative smee! did giving up gluten make you feel better?

smee Wed 23-Apr-14 11:58:12

You're so right LackaDAISY. Took a mate to tell me, not the GP! Giving up gluten though didn't really make much difference. Have you got yours under control now you know?? Hope so.

Interestingly we went away for a week before Easter and circumstantially I virtually cut out dairy. I barely got the pains at all. Coming back I thought that must be it - lactose intolerance - so have continued to cut out daily but it's back with a vengeance. Weird.. hmm

Actually I now get less of the pain under my right rib - still there sometimes but now I get period type pains very low in my pelvis. (It's not period related as chemotherapy pushed me to an early menopause.) I had an ultrasound which showed everything looked fine, but she saw 'lots of gas' which the GP said is causing the pains and backs up the IBS theory. Exercise helps. Not a lot else does.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Apr-14 11:41:39

yes, I've been gluten free for almost 10 years now. I know immediately if I've unknowingly ingested some as I start giving off the most noxious farts!

Have you been back to the docs yes freezepop?

noddyholder Thu 24-Apr-14 11:43:52

I had kidney stones which didn't show on an ultrasound and I suffered 2 more years before a CT scan showed about 5! US not alwyas conclusive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now