Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Laser Eye Surgery - Monovision

(5 Posts)
pupsiecola Tue 22-Apr-14 15:44:15

Hi all,

I had this done whilst living in Asia 18 months ago. On the whole I'm pleased with it, although within 6 months I was wearing glasses for reading. I can read without them but I have to squint a little if the print is small and using the reading specs is just much more comfortable. I don't mind wearing them tbh. I had got to the point before the laser surgery where I needed to wear my glasses all the time, so wearing them for maybe 20 to 30% of the time is still a vast improvement. (I'm 44 btw, and have worn reading glasses since early 20s but distance vision started to go in my late 30s and I hated wearing glasses all the time).

However, I'm not sure I've fully adjusted to the monovision aspect and am wondering whether to look into having a correction done to take away the monovision. Not even sure if that's possible - this is the start of my research.

My problem is mainly that sometimes (and I think it's when I'm tired) I get this horrid cross eyed feeling between my eyes. Not sure if it's all in my mind (I still find it odd to think that one eye is good for distance and one for near and my brain is meant to make sense of it all!). Sometimes too my mid distance is tricky (watching TV for example).

I just really wanted to hear from anyone who has had laser eye surgery, specifically the monovision, or anyone who works in this field.

Thank you,
P

Matildathecat Tue 22-Apr-14 19:47:50

Well I've had laser surgery and have a long eye and a short eye but it wasn't specifically called monovision. Does that count?

pupsiecola Tue 22-Apr-14 20:31:04

Yes that is monovision if the aim of the laser surgery was to give you one long and one short eye.

Matildathecat Tue 22-Apr-14 21:09:12

Ok, I'm not sure what specifically you'd like to know but I can tell you a bit about my experience.

I had LASIK at Moorfields Hospital 11years ago. I was shortsighted, -2ish. Not bad but still needed glasses nearly all the time. Recovery was ok but had halos for quite a while and felt 'odd' for a few months. But, had the most amazing crisp vision with brighter, clearer colours.

I was 37 at the time and didn't need reading glasses but the surgeon wanted to prevent me from needing them in the future hence the long and short eyes. Tbh I'm pretty unaware of it so suspect the difference is quite slight. I can tell by covering each eye when watching tv so there is a difference. I'm 48 now and don't wear glasses at all so far. My worst vision is driving at dusk so might need them at some point.

I also have trouble these days refocusing if I'm reading then look up to watch tv. Suspect that's age related!

I was told that eyes work as a pair so not to worry about my brain not getting it. But, I also know people who've tried wearing just one contact lens and found it really hard.

I would suggest a thorough eye test and waiting longer before considering further surgery. It may be that a single contact lens would be enough to help.

FriedSprout Tue 22-Apr-14 21:19:10

I had just one eye corrected in order to enable me see short and long distances using each eye.
I found it very disconcerting and was aware of the 'adjustment' between the two eyes when trying to focus. It is very hard to describe - sorry
I returned and had the second eye done.
Several years later, and I now have glasses for close up work, which they told me at the time I would need but still have very good long distance vision

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now