Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any such thing as non sti cause of PID

(12 Posts)
OldieNotMoldie Tue 22-Apr-14 14:29:20

Grasping at straws here.
Vag swab sent. Been prescribed doxycycline and metronidazole. Not seen the report or d/w the dr yet. Don't know what official diagnosis is I'm working backwards from the prescription.

Married a long time. Please tell me there is any other infections that would indicate those ABs. I'm an hcp but this isn't my field.

Really scared. Not worried about the vag, just my marriage. I haven't been near anyone else in 15 years

themockingjay Tue 22-Apr-14 14:32:07

The hospital were worried I had Pid caused by a septic miscarriage but I didn't have it in the end...sorry thats not much use but when the hospital thought I had it, it was not through an sti

BitOutOfPractice Tue 22-Apr-14 14:34:13

I've just googled and Wikipedia says "Although a sexually transmitted infection (STI) is often the cause, many other routes are possible, including lymphatic, postpartum, postabortal (either miscarriage or abortion) or intrauterine device (IUD) related, and hematogenous spread."

So try not to panic

Hope you're OK

marleymooo Tue 22-Apr-14 14:34:35

I'm just finished my 2nd dose of metronidazole for a wound infection after elcs. Hope it nothing like that op.

Jellymum1 Tue 22-Apr-14 14:36:05

I had it and not from an sti. I remember freaking out too about my marriage while waiting for swab results! I had a bacterial infection that can be passed between partners like thrush can but it is not an sti. it is caused by unbalanced PH levels. hope everything is ok for you

OldieNotMoldie Tue 22-Apr-14 14:37:39

I've got a mirena in
hopefully it's just that then

trying not to assume the worst

had clear swabs before it was put in

OldieNotMoldie Tue 22-Apr-14 14:40:09

I've asked for this to be moved to general health. posted here by accident but thank you for the replies

Roshbegosh Tue 22-Apr-14 14:41:31

Coil insertion.
Surfing possibly.
There are plenty of possibilities besides sti.

Roshbegosh Tue 22-Apr-14 14:42:15

Sorry not surfing, water skiing.

YellowStripe Tue 22-Apr-14 14:43:43

Metronidazole is the go-to drug for bacterial vaginosis; can't remember if there is any link to pid, but easily googled. Bv is quite often hormone related/triggered; mine used to flare up after frequent sex or eating too many sugary things.

YellowStripe Tue 22-Apr-14 14:45:25

A quick google (Bv pid) reveals that untreated Bv can cause pid.

OldieNotMoldie Tue 22-Apr-14 14:53:15

bv I can cope with fine.
pid, if it is, well I've finished having babies so hopefully it won't matter in the long term IYKWIM

I'm a bit of a worrierblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now