Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I've doubled my dosage without speaking to my GP...

(5 Posts)
YesAnastasia Tue 22-Apr-14 09:47:29

is that really bad? I couldn't get an appointment until the 29th!

I'm on 10mg of citalopram & took it twice one morning last week by mistake so just carried on. I expected to have to increase it to 20mg at some point anyway but I need him to do a repeat prescription sooner.

I'll have to tell the tut tutting receptionist won't I? I won't die will I?

Superworm Tue 22-Apr-14 13:28:32

It's fine. According to the BNF citalopram isn't therapeutic until 20mg anyway. It's a bugbear of many the pharmacists I work, with the 10mg dose...some patients swear it works for them though.

YesAnastasia Tue 22-Apr-14 13:45:17

Hip hip hooray for Superworm! (sorry couldn't resist smile)

Good to know, thank you.

Musicaltheatremum Tue 22-Apr-14 22:06:15

I usually start with 10mg and increase once the side effect profile settles. Usually increase to 20mg after 3 or 4 doses so yes that's fine to increase. Has your GP not arranged a review appointment though. I always give my patients a review appointment in a week (book it myself) as they may not come back and if depressed don't have the motivation to get through the appointment system.
A lot of patients can respond to 10mg but often they need an increase later on. Coming off 10mg does work though.

YesAnastasia Wed 23-Apr-14 10:50:52

Ah, brilliant. Thanks for that, I think I'm getting through the side effects now.
I tried to get an appointment but couldn't until 29th! He hasn't put me on repeat prescription so I have to go back but can't get an appointment!! Ridiculous system. I'll have call & ask the receptionist to get him to do another prescription.
It doesn't help that he's the only doctor at the surgery that anyone trusts so he's always busy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now