Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Abnormal ECG Worried

(8 Posts)
LovelyBath Mon 21-Apr-14 17:13:45

Hi, I had an ECG last week and it said "Abnormal ECG- normal sinus rhythm, T wave abnormality, consider inferior ischemia"

I'm worried now what does it mean, should I get it checked again? I ad another a few weeks prevous which they said was OK (but didn't give me the exact results)

FabULouse Mon 21-Apr-14 17:29:25

Have you been referred to a cardiology consultant or was this at your GP?

LovelyBath Mon 21-Apr-14 18:24:30

blush The GP's was closed over the Easter weekend so I called 111 and they send some paramedics round and they did the ECG in my house. I was having breathlessness and some chest pain but the GP said previously they thought pleurisy..it got worse ont he Friday morning but my other readings came back ok. They left the ECG reading with me.

Do you think I should ask the GP for further tests?

shouldnthavesaid Mon 21-Apr-14 19:32:46

They can be set off by any minor thing - my GP told me she gave her husband one as he had minor episodes of chest pain. She said that he got a bit antsy - given that she had to shave his chest, etc. The first reading she took said he was having a heart attack. He certainly wasn't, and it came back normal.

I think simple things like misplaced leads, shaky hands, irregular breathing, things like that.

Obviously you'll need to discuss this with your GP but I wouldn't panic just yet smile

NCISaddict Mon 21-Apr-14 19:45:37

Do not take any notice of what it says on the top of the ECG, I have seen ones which say normal ECG and the person is having a barn door MI which is obvious from the actual tracing. We are trained to read the tracing, not go on what the top bit says as it can so often be wrong.
Equally I've seen ones which say all sorts of odd things but are perfectly normal. The paramedics would have taken you in if the tracing showed anything worrying at all.

LovelyBath Tue 22-Apr-14 14:18:33

Do you think it's worth mentioning to the GP or no?

NCISaddict Tue 22-Apr-14 14:23:22

I would take all the paperwork the paramedics left you and give it to your GP when you next see him/her. They can then decide if any other tests need to be done but please don't worry. I have a t wave abnormality which comes up with a similar note on my ECG's but it's normal for me. The only reason I even know about it is because I've had ECG's for practise at work.

LovelyBath Tue 22-Apr-14 17:15:54

Thanks for the replies, I'll do that smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now