Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Terrible immune system, ill every couple of weeks, help!

(7 Posts)
JerusalemArtichoke Fri 04-Apr-14 10:51:57

Hi

Since christmas my immune system has been terrible. I have had three viruses with fevers over 39, leaving me bed bound. Two stomach bugs leaving me bed bound. A bout of mastitis which made me feel truly dreadful and multiple heavy colds. I cant stay well for more than a few days at a time and its depressing plus totally unfair on my kids.

I have three children under seven including a baby who im just stopping BFing. I work fulltime. I need to be well.

Does anyone have any tips for boosting immune systems and avoiding bugs? I eat well, go to bed as early as I can, take a multivitamin, wash by hands lots. None of it seems to help. I would exercise but im never bloody well enough to start.

TIA

Delatron Fri 04-Apr-14 17:30:44

Are you stressed? Working full time with 3 kids sounds tough! I wouldn't underestimate the impact stress has on your immune system. Do you have any time to yourself?

A good b vitamin complex will help, we need more b vitamins when we're stressed. Echinacea two weeks on two weeks off is good. I have had good results from a herb called astralagus. Plus a good probiotic.

I had a weakened immune system after cancer treatment so researched lots and lots! I don't seem to get ill that often now with the above combination. I also take a mushroom complex but it does get expensive.

Obviously this is on top of a good diet with lots of fruit and veg. Exercise etc. Hope you feel better soon!

Oh and Sambucol is good too, elderberries boost the immune system.

JerusalemArtichoke Fri 04-Apr-14 21:23:29

Thanks for these tips Delatron, I will invest in a b complex and some echinecia. I'd forgotten about echinecia which I did used to take. I probably am a bit stressed but mostly I'm just exhausted all the time. I'm already in bed now and am feeling so rough. I need to be well tomorrow so I can travel 150 miles to a friend's 40th (really not what I need).

Megbeth Sat 05-Apr-14 08:15:09

Zinc & 1000mg of vit C taken as well the multivitamin
Also garlic is anti viral & good for colds.

Delatron Sun 06-Apr-14 17:54:43

Poor you! It's a vicious circle. Sounds like you are not getting fully better before getting ill again. Can you have a weekend where you just cancel all social engagements, hand the children over to their father and just rest?

Once you are on top of the tiredness then the extra vitamins and supplements should help.

confuddledDOTcom Sun 06-Apr-14 19:09:14

Might sound odd but try a junior aspirin a day. All the things the others have said are good too.

Might also be worth seeing the GP in case there's something going on.

JerusalemArtichoke Mon 07-Apr-14 06:42:43

Thanks again. I will try all of these. I will try anything really. DH has spent the night being sick so I fear I'm likely to come down with that soon. It's just so horrid not being able to be reliable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now