Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ear infection while breastfeeding newborn - which antibiotics? Please help, feel totally broken.

(7 Posts)

DS is seven weeks old. I've had D&V, horrible cold and cough, and now this blasted ear infection in the last four weeks. DS and DD have had the vomiting and the colds/coughs. DS feeds every 2-3 hours and needs endless burping after each feed. His cough was bronchiolitis and could only sleep on me sitting upright for three weeks.

I am absolutely shattered and weak to the point I am unsafe to drive and worry about being at home alone with them both. DH great when here but works long hours.

I saw the doctor on Tuesday for my ears, and she gave me "weak" antibiotics in the form of ear drops. She told me to only take paracetamol, not ibuprofen, because of breastfeeding. I feel dreadful for DS but have been having to take 3 ibuprofen a day just to half function. The paracetamol don't touch the pain. sad

So I am going back to doc tomorrow as per her orders if it's not any better, and she's going to give me "proper" antibiotics. But I'm terrified of getting nipple thrush on top of everything else. Are there any antibiotics I could ask for that are less likely to cause problems? I am tandem feeding DD as well and can't face any more pain. sad

Any help would be much appreciated.

PenguinBear Thu 03-Apr-14 18:37:38

I would ask a friend to go to Holland and Barrett and buy you some 'good bacteria' pills. I took them when I was on very strong ABs and they prevented any hint of thrush etc and were fab.
You keep them in the fridge and have one a day. I'll go and look up the name for you In a Minute smile

noblegiraffe Thu 03-Apr-14 18:43:31
noblegiraffe Thu 03-Apr-14 18:45:34

I get recurrent ear infections and had an awful one when I was first pregnant with ds and I think its amoxicillin I take. Anyway juet wanted to say that I took codiene and paracetamol which is even worse than ibuprofen for pregnancy and breastfeeding I later found out but there were no ill effects on ds and that was in the crucial stage of development.

I've also had mastitis 4 times while breastfeeding and taken abs and they do make ds a bit more irritable but nothing apart fron that that I can tell..hope you feel better soon

Thanks for the suggestions and list of safe ABs.

In my delirium last night, I thought you said to get the good bacteria pills from Holland, Penguin Bear. Which would have been perfect, as my mum is coming over to help me today and she lives in Holland! Unfortunately I'm in Germany, so no H&B here for me. Will ask the doc for something similar though.

I can see both children are awake on the baby phones and yet can't hear them at all. Very strange sensation. Must go.

MinesAPintOfTea Fri 04-Apr-14 06:41:05

I had serious antibiotics for an infection post-birth. No ill effects on ds and no thrush. Plus think of all the painkillers women take whilst recovering.

Hope you feel better soon flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now