Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone tried melatonin for insomnia?

(13 Posts)
stonecircle Wed 02-Apr-14 18:14:44

GP has just prescribed some and I'm wonder whether it's OK to get my hopes up!

chocaholic73 Wed 02-Apr-14 19:44:47

DD's been on it for a long time and it works brilliantly for her.

EggyChick Wed 02-Apr-14 19:46:38

Works a treat for my DH, like a miracle cure for his bad sleep.

roadwalker Wed 02-Apr-14 19:52:57

My DD takes it, it has changed our lives

SuburbanSpaceperson Wed 02-Apr-14 19:53:13

I take it, not every night but probably half the time. It definitely helps me to fall asleep as usually I am tired but not sleepy and the melatonin makes me sleepy.

Research suggests the it doesn't necessarily increase total time asleep, but I think in my case it does as I don't have the early waking type of insomnia, only the inability to fall asleep in the evening.

Cascumpec Wed 02-Apr-14 20:01:38

It IS ok to get your hopes up! It works, maybe not straight away...but you should see results after a week or two.

stonecircle Wed 02-Apr-14 20:30:26

Ooooh - sounds promising. Does it matter what time of day you take it? Doesn't specify on the bottle.

SuburbanSpaceperson Wed 02-Apr-14 20:40:05

Take it about 30 mins before you want to fall asleep if it's capsules or tablets. If it's drops that you put under your tongue then take it just before you get into bed.

Sillysarah49 Thu 03-Apr-14 19:20:15

Can I ask whether it works only for those people who struggle to get off to sleep, or will it help if you can get to sleep easily but then wake up in the early hours?

storynanny Thu 03-Apr-14 19:21:11

Every one is different but I am afraid it didnt work at all for me.

Bunbaker Thu 03-Apr-14 19:31:34

Is it good for jetlag?

potbellyroast Thu 03-Apr-14 22:13:46

DS(13) takes it just before bed. He has ASD and it has transformed our lives. On the odd night I can't sleep I would love to take one! I would say well done to a forward thinking GP to prescribe you this amazing 'drug'.

I have hypothyroidism and it's prescribed in the US for this who struggle to sleep. It's not licensed in the uk so GP's can be wary of prescribing it.

potbellyroast Thu 03-Apr-14 22:16:03

silly there are 2 varieties. Slow release for those who struggle to stay asleep and quick release for those who struggle to get to sleep. It is possible to take a combination of both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now