Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Heavy periods and norethisterone

(3 Posts)
HHH3 Wed 26-Mar-14 18:30:22

Since having DS2 (15mo) I've had problems. I bled for 3 months after having him and a scan showed some clots.

When he was 6mo my periods started again and days 2&3 were horrendously heavy (think flooding through tampon and towel within and hour). I was prescribed tranexamic acid and had a scan which showed an area of calcification.

Saw gynae a couple of months ago who said that the calcification was nothing to worry about and prescribed norethisterone to try. First month I took it on days 2&3 which helped but then days 5&6 were really heavy instead and my period was 2 days longer.

This month my GP said to take it for 10 days. First couple of days were unusually light but on day 3 it got really heavy so started taking the tablets. All good for 10 days and last day I took them was Monday.

Today I've started bleeding again. What's going on? Have I just delayed my period?

Next step is the mirena which I've had before (all fine for 6 months then bled for 6 months solid) but I'm willing to try it again. If that doesn't work then it's endometrial ablation hmm

Just wondered if anyone had any experience? Sorry it's so long!

HHH3 Sat 29-Mar-14 18:21:30

Anyone?

tallulah Sat 29-Mar-14 18:31:54

I was suffering almost constant bleeding and was prescribed norethisterone back in August. I'm supposed to take it 3 times a day for 10 days a month but I find that 2 a day is enough to keep it at bay.

I start it on the 21st of each month and period tends to start within a couple of days of stop taking it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now