Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Ingrowing toe nail

(18 Posts)
KurriKurri Mon 24-Mar-14 14:31:34

Who do I consult about this - is it a job for GP, practice nurse, or should I go to a podiatrist/chiropodist?(and if the latter, how much would that cost?)

What are they likely to do? - its painful, but not infected - just seems to be happily burrowing its way into my toe, and I can't seem to stop it, is there anything I can do meanwhile to ease the pain? TIA

Sorry for gross toe talk grin

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 24-Mar-14 14:37:23

I went to the gp and was referred for removal, but they were very bad.

Dh goes to a chiropodist at £25 a go.His is cut 'out'.

Just pick the most comfortable footwear to ease the pain.

KurriKurri Mon 24-Mar-14 18:00:19

Thanks TBW - do you mind me asking, did you have your toe nails completely removed?

I am not too bad in my shoes because they are comfortable ones,oddly I find it worse at night when the duvet is resting on my toes.

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 24-Mar-14 18:04:54

I had one completely removed because it was so bad.
The other one they decided would be ok with just the sides removed (it's been fine in the 15 years since)

I can remember the weight of the duvet causing problems.

StrawberryCheese Mon 24-Mar-14 18:12:03

I went to my GP and got referred to another clinic. They removed the side of the nail and I haven't had as much of a problem since. Just to warn you though, having a needle stuck into the base of my big toe was probably the worst pain I've ever experienced!

I haven't gone through childbirth though grin

KurriKurri Mon 24-Mar-14 18:49:45

I'm not going to think about the needle <fingers in ears la la la> grin

I suspect mine won't be a really big job, it doesn't curl right back in on itself, and so far touch wood it hasn't got infected.

I might make a GP appointment initially and see what happens from there.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 24-Mar-14 20:17:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KurriKurri Mon 24-Mar-14 20:44:31

Thanks Ohhelp - I will try the v shaped cut. Its one of those things I've been trying to ignore but it's clearly not going to go away so I will see my GP - she can add it to my list of things that need sorting out!!

guineapig2014 Mon 24-Mar-14 20:48:31

Hi a friend of mine has this. She went to the docs surgery recently and she was given antibiotics, if they do not work then she will have to have surgery for it to be removed and will be on crutches for a week of two. Hope it gets better for you btw. smile

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 24-Mar-14 21:14:48

I didn't find the local anaesthetic injections too bad.

Cindy34 Mon 24-Mar-14 21:17:44

Pharmacy will have some cream that can soften the area. Meanwhile tonight, do you have any sudocrem (often used for nappy rash) that stuff is good on various things and can help to soften skin/nail and is an antiseptic.

impty Mon 24-Mar-14 21:24:00

Have you tried putting a plaster under the toe pulling the skin away from the nail. Did this with my big toe with antiseptic cream on the inflamed skin. After a few weeks the nail had grown up straighter and stopped using plasters. Problem never returned.

mrstigs Mon 24-Mar-14 22:31:25

I've had both my big toenails totally removed after twice having the sides cut out. Damn it hurts afterwards. But far better than the constant nagging soreness of ingrowing nails. I was referred by the doctors each time (though to three different places, inpatients, outpatients, then the hospital podiatrist - who finally fixed it). Definitely do the 'v' cut in the meantime, it does help. And try to not be tempted to just cut them very short and pull it out, it's instant wonderful relief but makes them worse in the long run. as I found out

KurriKurri Mon 24-Mar-14 22:57:07

Thanks all for your advice - I will ask at the pharmacy for some cream - meanwhile I do have sudocrem,so will put some on - I have done the v cut, and it has definitely brought some relief - so thank you for that.

dotnet Tue 25-Mar-14 09:13:07

Depending on how bad it is, you might be able to make it come right by catching it underneath with dental floss or sewing cotton. That could be enough to help lift it and change the course of its growth! LEAVE the floss/cotton there for as long as you think it needs.

ajandjjmum Tue 25-Mar-14 09:17:29

I'm a supporter of dotnet's type of solution (after a hot bath!) -
it sorted mine out 20 years ago. Now, anyone got any advice on fungal nail infections.......!!!!

Cindy34 Tue 25-Mar-14 23:24:15

What did you end up doing, has it improved things today?

happylittlevegemites Wed 26-Mar-14 11:34:13

DON'T do a v cut!! A podiatrist may well be able to trim it in a way that makes it comfortable immediately/in a day or two. Surgery can work very well, either for a bad one that doesn't respond to trimming, or one that needs to be trimmed often and therefore in need of a more permanent solution. Not all podiatrists/chiropodists do nail surgery, but you can ask that when you phone. Most patients find that the surgery isn't as bad as they thought, though you would need to put your feet up for a couple of days. Savlon do an iodine spray (blue can) that works well for ingrown toenail infections. Hope that helps! (Podiatrist here!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now