Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

**Tamoxigang counting down to Easter eggs- thread 48**

(999 Posts)
BetsyBoop Fri 21-Mar-14 20:05:40

throws some hot cross buns on the trolley

really DF started to struggle after about day 13 of rads, he slept most of the day for the rest of that week, the oncologist said its fatigue, not just tiredness, the rads are damaging healthy tissue and your body fights hard to repair itself. Now, day 20 he seems much more alert again, hope you feel better soon thanks

mildmay Fri 04-Apr-14 10:04:30

morning all hope everyone has a good friday.im heading out soon for my first chemo not really sure how the next few days will be .good news though i got emend thanks to reading about it here.hope everyone has a lovely week end and the smog clears x

Good luck today Mildmay - hope the sickness stays at bay for you.

malteserzz Fri 04-Apr-14 12:30:22

Good luck mild may let us know how you get on. If you do get side effects don't forget to ask for help on here as no doubt someone will have experienced the same

mildmay Fri 04-Apr-14 12:58:17

Thanks malt and handbags knowing you all managed it helps loads.Here i go x

Wren48 Fri 04-Apr-14 13:58:25

Good luck, Mildmay. It's really good to get it underway. I hope the side effects are kind to you.

foofooyeah Fri 04-Apr-14 14:58:21

Good luck today mildmay

Just wishing everyone a good weekend.

Plus I have the answer for those struggling with sleep.

2 x gin and tonic + 2 x Tramadol = 11 hours sleep.

kitkat1967 Fri 04-Apr-14 15:19:03

Blimey Foo - that's a major knockout combination smile.
Have you arranged to get your results yet?

foofooyeah Fri 04-Apr-14 18:29:17

Yes, everyone away next week, so results on 15th and onc appt a week later.

Mummywheel Fri 04-Apr-14 18:53:59

Hope your chemo went okay mildmay and you manage your sickness well. I had my third FEC on Wednesday and this time have not experienced any nausea at all smile I also have Emend.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

kitkat1967 Fri 04-Apr-14 19:35:58

That's good news Mummy - long may it continue.

Hope it went well for you today mildmay.

That's quite a wait Foo - hopefully your onc will not need you to have any more chemo.

mildmay Fri 04-Apr-14 20:44:23

Thanks all,went well and i feel so happy to have got first one out the way.Was shocked to see the amount of drugs that were going in.So silly just expected a small bag .Hope everyone having a nice evening DS back from uni but already hes out.lovely having him home for a while makes life seem normal again .

malteserzz Fri 04-Apr-14 21:36:34

Foo foo hope it passes quickly till the 15th, keep drinking and taking the tablets !

Mildmay glad it went ok there is a lot isn't there, I didn't know it was syringed into the back of your hand either

Mummywheel glad you're ok

Were banished upstairs as dd has friends round for her birthday, it's quite relaxing watching tv in bed !

BetsyBoop Sat 05-Apr-14 07:08:23

Foo we we sit with and supply copious tea/cake/gin til the 15th!

Mild -I hope you are ok this morning. It seems if you are going tobe sick with FEC it happens within a few hours, so if you haven't been you may be ok ( but will probably still feel a bit rubbish...) I think everyone is shocked the first time when they see all the syringes.

That's good mummy, as nausea for days is horrid smile

Well we are off on holiday today (cottage in the Lakes) and I'm not sure if we have Internet coverage, so if I'm not around for a while you know why smile

malteserzz Sat 05-Apr-14 08:27:46

Have a lovely time Betsy smile hope the weather is kind to you

reallyreallyworried Sat 05-Apr-14 08:29:32

Hope you have a great time Betsy

Well done mildmay number one done! Hope you stay side effects free.

malt tv in bed sounds perfect!

foofoo that was an interesting combination for a good nights sleep! Right now I would be happy to get a block of more than 2hrs sleep!

So I have 2 whole days hospital appt free smile one thing about Rads is that it really makes you appreciate the weekend! I'm 8 Rads down and 17 to go!!

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

TaDaaah Sat 05-Apr-14 12:06:19

Hello everyone,
I was on here a while ago under a different name. Now back (trying to avoid trolls following me) so will give synopsis of medical stuff vs name.
Low grade sarcoma in spinal canal and sacrum. The scared shitless, no memory and can't read anyone's stuff person. Ashamedly, me.
Anyway, wanted to say hello. And thank you for the support that you have to me.
I'm now recovering 9 weeks on, from major surgery. Doing pretty well. Emotionally, so so. World upside down in terms of how I view my friendships. Has anyone else experienced that?
They think that they got It all put, which is pretty amazing. Not so amazing to be on the drugs I'm on now to cope with the problems in my back. I feel like I dodged a bullet but have been in a sudden war zone.
At the time, coping with what was happening, the shock, the fear, that was all I felt. Now, things are emotionally crumbling around me in terms of relationships. My concept of them, anyway.
Sorry to pop on and moan.

BetsyBoop Sat 05-Apr-14 12:29:08

GOOD to see you Tadaaah ;-) Yes I think that's fairly common re friendships, folks were either there for you or they weren't. A couple of people who I had considered close friends barely made contact as I went through treatment, so quite frankly they can bugger off now. Other friends have become much closer as they were just amazing.

really - 8 Rads down and 17 to go smile This time next week 13 down 12 to go, so you'll be over half way, woohoo. Once you get past the half way mark the end of rads is very near smile

mildmay Sat 05-Apr-14 13:18:08

Thanks Betsy no sickness yet just feel abit spaced out.Have lovely time in the lakes.kirby lonsdale lovely for a visit if you pass by x

TaDaaah Sat 05-Apr-14 13:50:52

Really, you've come so far. One more week and you'll nearly be there.

Hi Betsy, good to know it's not just me then. I thought I'd just been terrible at misjudging friendships (and wasting time).

ConsiderablyBiggerBuns Sat 05-Apr-14 14:15:08

Hi tadaah this is my second experience with cancer and even after nearly 30 years, I am still a bit miffed at some of the friendships that crumbled over that time, mostly due to their issues of guilt over not being there more then avoiding me to avoid the issue. I have tried to head that off this time around by being much more direct about the whole thing, actively contacting people to let them know and asking for help if I need it. Any friend that ignores a direct communication is hardly worth bothering about. I'm sure there will also be some friendship adjustments, those that really step up to the plate are always going to have a special place hereafter.
Anyway, after my diagnosis over a month ago I am about to start my treatment journey with a BMX and full node clearance on Tuesday. I have a couple of questions for you lovely ladies. The hospital can't tell me how long I will be in for, anybody else who had the same op, how long were you in for, please? Also, any general tips for things to take in with me that make the stay more bearable/comfortable. Lastly, how long before I can hope to be fit to drive?

felinesad Sat 05-Apr-14 14:41:55

Malt Had hair cut short on Thursday and felt better. Had wig reshaped and felt happier with it. Hair actually seemed to have stopped coming out and my Oncologist on Friday was amazed at how much hair I had. In fact she assumed I'd been cold capping which I haven't.

Today feeling really weepy again. Woke up to a bed covered in hair. Now hate my wig and think it only looks good if my lovely hairdressers styles it for me. DP tried to give me a cheer up pep talk but he must have felt disgusted to make up in a bed full of hair sad.

Tad Welcome and hope everything goes well. I haven't really had any problems with my friendships. In fact I've had some very surprising people at work being very supportive and staying in contact even if it's just FB or text. It's nice to know you've not been forgotten. I sometimes feel like the world is just carrying on without me like I'm on some parallel universe.

Today I'm going to try wearing my wig for the day to try and get used to it and clear out a load of the boys clothing via ebay or charity shops.

2nd FEC on Monday but have got Emend so hopefully no vomiting or nausea this time.

Mild Hope you don't suffer too much. Apart from a brief vomiting session on day 5 and feeling a bit fluey for a couple of days it was manageable.

weebarra Sat 05-Apr-14 15:49:42

feline, I'm pretty sure your DH won't have been disgusted. I know that the idea of me losing my hair freaked my DH out, but when it actually happened he took it in his stride.
Had a lovely meal with my team from work last night, but very tired today. I'm not likely to be back at work for a while (technically I'm still on mat leave!) but it was good to catch up.

TaDaaah Sat 05-Apr-14 16:12:06

Considerably (would prefer to call you BiggerBuns) - cool name! I wish you well with your next slog of treatment. Your had a 30 year gap from your last? Sometimes, hospital treatments / stays are unpredictable. Have they not said?

Mummywheel Sat 05-Apr-14 16:37:11

A tad envious Betsy The lakes is one of my favourite places! My SIL has a lodge in Troutbeck Valley near Windermere which we use regularly and would generally be going around now sad Hope you have a great time! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now