Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pt 8 (Oct13) Any old prolapse! Uterus/womb prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, urethrocele, incontinence, pelvic floor, anterior and posterior repair, TVT etc (994 Posts)

(535 Posts)
gottagetthroughthis Wed 19-Mar-14 00:24:19

Welcome to thread 8 (again - see below) of a long-running series of posts from ladies suffering from pelvic prolapses to support each other through the process of diagnosis, repair and recovery.

With apologies for confusion in thread numbers - an earlier thread was called part 7 but it was actually the 6th thread.

Here are the previous threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Thread 5
Thread 6
Thread 7
Thread 8

Info from BBC Health

What is a pelvic prolapse?

As the muscles, ligaments and supporting tissues in the pelvis become weaker, they are less able to hold in the organs of the pelvis such as the womb (uterus) or bladder.

Gravity pulls these organs down and, in the more severe cases, may appear through the entrance to the vagina.

A variety of problems can occur, depending on where the weakness lies and which organs are able to descend, but in every case there is some degree of prolapse of the vaginal wall, which begins to invert (rather like a sock turning inside out).
Prolapse of the womb or uterus is the most common prolapse, affecting as many as one in eight older women to some degree
Prolapse of the bladder, known as a cystocele, is less common.
Prolapse of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the bladder) is known as a urethrocele.
Prolapse of the intestines is quite rare, and known as an enterocele or rectocele.

Symptoms depend on which tissues descend, and how severe the prolapse is.

They may include:
A sense of heaviness or pressure in the pelvis.
The appearance of a bulge of tissue in the genital area, which can be quite alarming, and is often red and sore.
Urinary problems, such as having to urinate more frequently, feeling the need urgently, being incontinent (losing control of the bladder) or, conversely, being unable to pass urine when you need to.
Pain in the pelvis or lower back.
Sexual problems, including pain and decreased libido.
Vaginal discharge or bleeding.

Treatment and recovery

Once a prolapse has developed, surgery to fix the affected organs is usually the only way to cure it effectively.

However, another option is to use a device known as a vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. Many women happily manage their prolapse this way.

Ridingthegravytrain Thu 26-Nov-15 17:11:32

So sorry you are having a hard time. I don't know why they seem to make out its unusual. I don't know anyone who hasn't had wee issues after an anterior repair

Gotta did you notice a difference straight away with the pessary? Mine is in but I don't notice any improvement and my stream is still weak and now I feel like I need a wee all the time (more than I did before!!)

It hasn't moved but I've not had a bowel movement which I guess is when it will shift!

He didn't want to start out too big but we can size up if my symptoms remain

Addictedtohotbaths1 Thu 26-Nov-15 16:00:05

Thanks Sadie and Waiting. In the end I was in agony and couldn't pee so I went back to hospital and they've given me a regular catheter with a bag and a new course of anti bis since it sounds like I've now got an infection. Im going back in a week for another trial. I'm so relieved now there is no way I will ever be able to self cath again it's totally traumatised me. You are so right Sadie it's such a big thing to do.

My catheter has loads of bits floating in it, is that normal or infection?

Yesterday was the first day my stitches weren't painful I was making really good progress. I'm so wiped out now.

Waiting are you making any progress?

You guys are all so lovely x

sadie9 Thu 26-Nov-15 15:40:20

Addicthotbaths, sorry you have having such a crap time. That cathatering must be very uncomfortable. The doc told me that too, that it can take time for the brain to work out where the bladder has moved to...sort of thing. I have heard others say if you try rocking back and forth on the loo more might come out. Like tilting in different positions. Another forum I read said the woman put a bowl on the floor and wee'd while down on all fours just to try a different position. And the breathing like blowing into a straw. It certainly is not your fault. It is terrible when you are just expected to self-manage a catherter just like that and it is in such a sensitive area that was recently operated on. It is a big expectation on the hospitals part. hugs and please let the wees come ASAP.

waiting4relief Thu 26-Nov-15 06:24:50

I am so sorry for all your pain, I would be beside myself if I couldn't get the catheter in straight away especially if I felt like I needed to wee. If you have to have a catheter for another week don't worry I know you are trying to avoid it but hurting yourself and trying to wee when you can't can make it worse. I tell you now it is not just in your head I know how much you want to get rid of the catheter and you are trying very hard. Thinking of you xo

Addictedtohotbaths1 Thu 26-Nov-15 05:46:05

And Gotta thanks for your kind words x

Addictedtohotbaths1 Thu 26-Nov-15 05:43:32

They said it might only take a few days with self cath to get the bladder back to normal. Who knows...

Addictedtohotbaths1 Thu 26-Nov-15 05:42:00

Hi waiting - it's awful it hurts, the anticipation of it hurting too makes it worse. I did it once at the hospital and I've only just managed to do it again now. I've been trying all night with the catheter or sitting on the loo desperately trying to get some out. I can't stop crying I feel so trapped and in pain. I've just emptied my bladder but feel like I need to go still so I've probably got an infection now.

I will see how I go in a few hours but the only other option is a catheter for another week. I'm so scared they do that and I'm back in the same situation in another weeks time.
They told me there's no physical reason and it's just my brain which makes me feel like it's my fault.
Sorry to moan I'm feeling really shit.

How are you doing? X

waiting4relief Thu 26-Nov-15 04:21:04

Hotbaths get icepacks on your lady parts for at least 24hrs it makes a huge difference long term. How long do they believe you are going to be self catheterizing? I am so sorry that you are in this situation. They offered me the choice of self catheterization is it hard to do? You will be better soon it hasn't been a week yet so just remember slow start with recovery usually means a faster finish xo thinking of you

gottagetthroughthis Wed 25-Nov-15 22:56:55

Addicted I know it must be awful for you but hang in there - look over the threads and see some of the other girls had some probs in the beginning as far as I can remember and I know it prob wont help you but at least you will know it has happened to others.

I really feel for you and can see why you are a depressed and I haven't had the op I know but it is still early days for you and it is a big op you have just had. maybe when the swelling goes down a bit you will start to notice a change. Your ladybits have been bruised and battered give them a little time.

Poor love xx sending some ((hugs)) and really am thinking about you.

Riding have fingers crossed for you tomorrow hun xx hope all goes well.

Waiting thinking about you too, hope you are not too bad xx (hugs))

Addictedtohotbaths1 Wed 25-Nov-15 18:39:42

Got the cath out and it's been replaced with self catheterising because I can go but only a little bit. I'm so depressed.

waiting4relief Wed 25-Nov-15 17:50:36

Hi girls for easier bowel movements you have got to try magnesia 5-Pellegrino it works as an antacid if you take 1teaspoon and works as a laxative when you take 3 teaspoons. It works like Ural does for the bladder only this works for the bowels usually in 8 hrs.

gottagetthroughthis Wed 25-Nov-15 16:01:23

Riding no worries it just made me think - would it? Might ask doc for my own peace of

waiting so glad you went to loo I am sure that has helped you feel a bit more comfortable at least. Take care - there was a girl on here who never got an infection (so far as I know) and she used to have salt baths? I always remembered that so that if I ever had the op I would too, because if there's an infection to get - I'll get it!!smile

Addicted hope you get cath out today have fingers and toes crossed - o and legs!!! As for stool softeners I haven't had the op and I would take anything to make it easy to go!! Mostly prune juice. The things we have to do ladies. blush

Take care all speak later

waiting4relief Wed 25-Nov-15 10:19:01

Laying down to feed she is 11mnths old. The only problem I have found with the catheter I had in hospital was if I tried to lay on my side it would set my bladder infection pain and nerve pain in my urethra off for literally hours. So I haven't tried to lay on my side since I worked out that it set it off. I have a long-term catheter in now and it doesn't seem to aggravate my bladder as easily,thank god. Bub is sooooo happy the milk supply has returned today. I don't know if I could walk often enough to relieve my bladder as it seems to be in overdrive. Might be trying to flush the infection. I do feel so much better today and emptying the bowels was hard work even though it was soft,but so grateful for the relief. I cant believe its a week today I feel like sending you all big hugs and love for all the support you all have given me I am forever grateful. hotbaths how long till you have the wee test I am thinking of you.

sadie9 Wed 25-Nov-15 10:12:02

Yikes Addictedto and Waiting4 that you had to come home with catheters. I did read those haematomas are fairly common, still not fair that you had to get two. I didn't look down there when I came home, not for ages. Then when I did it looked quite swollen and with fleshy bits, these all went away. The instruments they use to support the legs and that may cause bruising. You can see why I said earlier to tell partners that you may not be sex for 10 weeks. Having said that things can get better surprisingly quickly once you are over the first 2 weeks. If you have catheters and trouble pooing then your attention is constantly drawn to 'down there'. Once those 2 things are back to normal or close to normal, you will find your attention actually wandering away from your nether least for a few moments a day!
I ate the piles of dates too. Mandarins/clementines and coffee are good too. Gosh Addictedto, you have a tough station breastfeeding as well. Hope everyone has lots of help at home. Get well soon.

Addictedtohotbaths1 Wed 25-Nov-15 09:08:45

Sorry no idea if 4000 Mls is good or bad it sounds like a lot? But I'm going every hour during the day?

Addictedtohotbaths1 Wed 25-Nov-15 09:03:17

Yay for poop! What a relief. I'm sure you are already but keep taking loads of stool softeners and eating loads of fruit. I am gagging on dates and prune juice but anything not to be blocked up..

Ive got a flip flo valve so no bag, I empty the valve into the loo when I feel the urge to pee. Can you have one of those? It's much better not having to carry a bag around?

How bloody unlucky you've got those heamatomas.

What a great suggestion on the milk supply. How old is your baby? Do you pick them up to feed or do it lying down?

waiting4relief Wed 25-Nov-15 08:28:29

Hotbaths I am happy to say I finally went and moved my bowels with magnesia and a suppository it finally moved and it has taken a lot of pressure off. Breastfeeding was really hard my milk dropped significantly but a cleaver nurse suggested I ask my doctor while in hospital for a tablet that helps increase my supply and today it really worked (3rd day). I am really happy hotbaths that you have a chance to lose the catheter today, I'm excited for you, my doctor made a joke that I should enjoy this time of standing and doing a wee like a man lol (emptying catheter bag). But there is a question I would like to ask you all I am weeing 4000mls (4 litres) a day minimum is this alot or normal? Ridingtrain the hematoma usually is not visible unless you have one one the labia which I did but that resolved about 4days ago it looks like a piece of placenta, the two inside I was told were very large, but now that I have moved my bowels I hopefully won't have to have the surgery opened and closed again I really didn't like the thought of repeating the op especially after how low my hemoglobin is now thankyou everyone for putting up with my long posts can't wait to hear from you all.

Addictedtohotbaths1 Wed 25-Nov-15 07:54:34

Hi - I'm doing ok thanks Gotta, some days pain is ok others the drugs don't feel like they touch the sides usually after I've moved too much.

I'm going in for a trial without catheter today so please cross your fingers for me! - I can't wait to get rid of this thing it's gross.

Waiting you poor thing that sounds awful. I don't have any visible bruising but it feels bruised wierdly in particular around my labia pubic bone hurts most of the time.

How are you managing with breastfeeding? That must be an extra drain on you.

Are they going to give you an enema? When you've sorted the constipation you will be way more comfortable that is a massive source of pressure inside.

You are very brave, try to stay positive if you can, not getting depressed is what is going to get us though these crappy weeks. X

Ridingthegravytrain Wed 25-Nov-15 07:30:40

Sorry to hear that waiting. I was black and blue and bruised too. Though not sure if I had a haematoma. The op was the most painful thin ice ever experienced (and I've had kids with no pain relief) so it is usual to be in a lot of pain and pressure and not be able to walk. It took me 2 weeks before I could even climb down the stairs. So scary. But honestly it will get better even if you are wondering what the hell you have done!

Keep it all really clean. I got infected stitches and that was not pleasant

Ridingthegravytrain Wed 25-Nov-15 07:27:05

On no sorry I didn't mean it causes damage. Just that the usual prolapse restrictions apply even with it in. In fact my surgeon told me they apply forever even after I had my operation

gottagetthroughthis Tue 24-Nov-15 23:04:53

waiting poor you - it's bad enough having the op without having all this on top. really feeling for you at the I know the catheter is a nuisance but if you could get everything else settled atm that's the main thing.

Why did they even send you home? would it not have been easier to keep you in and keep an eye on you? OM goodness the NHS!!!

You must take it easy and look after yourself for the next few days at least.

Riding I hope the pessary is not going to actually cause damage inside as I would take it out if I thought it could cause more damage than what's done! Although I don't feel this pessary inside I can't wait to be doing it daily - just for cleanliness even. blush

addicted how are you keeping? Once you start talking to people on this thread you miss them when they are not there! flowers for you too and hope you are feeling a little better, am thinking about you.

Well girls having a wee wine tonight - just thought I deserved it!

waiting4relief Tue 24-Nov-15 20:57:22

Hi everyone I was finally sent home on sunday I have two large hematoma's one on the anterior and one on the posterior repair which is causing me so much pressure even to stand. I have to return to the hospital today as no amount of laxitive's blush have helped me have a bowel movement. Last night I lost a large clot and blood from my rectum is this the hematoma? don't know I thought it would come from the vagina. I am expected to have the catheter in until at least the 3rd December shock as the doctor believes the hematoma would need at least that long to start breaking down. I am black and blue down there even the pubic labia and front of the pelvis is blue/black anyone else had this bruising? I thought possibly I am in a bad way because they had to stop the bleeding (1 litre) so were a little more rough and invasive then usual. Hotbaths how you going have you gotten rid of the catheter yet?

Ridingthegravytrain Tue 24-Nov-15 15:49:37

Thanks gotta that's encouraging I really hope it works as I'll have to have the op now otherwise as I'm getting sick of all the utis from retained urine!

I know you still aren't recommended to run/lift etc as while it holds the bladder in the correct place it doesn't support the separated wall and so that will keep stretching if you put that kind of pressure on it, you just won't notice until the pessary comes out (iyswim)

I will let you know how it goes. Here's hoping it's a success here too!

gottagetthroughthis Tue 24-Nov-15 00:21:21

Riding got pessary fitted cos I asked for it but like you - my prolapse apparently isn't too bad (grade 1 to 2) she said. it fitted from the start she was an expert! Before I left she said if it slips down push it back up and I am to wear it for 6 weeks when she will teach me to take one in and out daily blush (which I would be happier with tbh). I completely forget about this being in! But I don't know the limits eg can I lift heavy, can I run, but you can have sex grin and he won't even notice!!

I am hoping this will delay having to have the op hopefully for 5 years anyway - but maybe that is just wishful thinking. Wonder if I can ride my bike - too cold to try atm (o I live in Belfast) and I am 55 year old.

Apparently you can keep this in for 4 months at a time but a professional has to take it out and she also said that it won't damage you in any way.

Hope this helped and I will be thinking of you on Thursday - good luck!smile

Ridingthegravytrain Mon 23-Nov-15 12:03:17

gotta do you mind saying what you have the pessary for (symptoms etc) I'm
Having mine fitted on Thursday, not sure which type but it's to support a cystourethrocele. The prolapse itself isn't too bad grading wise but the symptoms are horrific. Had recto and perineum fixed earlier in year and now my bladder has dropped into the space as it was being supported by the rectocele. Bugger

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now