Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pt 8 (Oct13) Any old prolapse! Uterus/womb prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, urethrocele, incontinence, pelvic floor, anterior and posterior repair, TVT etc (994 Posts)

(709 Posts)
gottagetthroughthis Wed 19-Mar-14 00:24:19

Welcome to thread 8 (again - see below) of a long-running series of posts from ladies suffering from pelvic prolapses to support each other through the process of diagnosis, repair and recovery.

With apologies for confusion in thread numbers - an earlier thread was called part 7 but it was actually the 6th thread.

Here are the previous threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Thread 5
Thread 6
Thread 7
Thread 8

Info from BBC Health

What is a pelvic prolapse?

As the muscles, ligaments and supporting tissues in the pelvis become weaker, they are less able to hold in the organs of the pelvis such as the womb (uterus) or bladder.

Gravity pulls these organs down and, in the more severe cases, may appear through the entrance to the vagina.

A variety of problems can occur, depending on where the weakness lies and which organs are able to descend, but in every case there is some degree of prolapse of the vaginal wall, which begins to invert (rather like a sock turning inside out).
Prolapse of the womb or uterus is the most common prolapse, affecting as many as one in eight older women to some degree
Prolapse of the bladder, known as a cystocele, is less common.
Prolapse of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the bladder) is known as a urethrocele.
Prolapse of the intestines is quite rare, and known as an enterocele or rectocele.

Symptoms

Symptoms depend on which tissues descend, and how severe the prolapse is.

They may include:
A sense of heaviness or pressure in the pelvis.
The appearance of a bulge of tissue in the genital area, which can be quite alarming, and is often red and sore.
Urinary problems, such as having to urinate more frequently, feeling the need urgently, being incontinent (losing control of the bladder) or, conversely, being unable to pass urine when you need to.
Pain in the pelvis or lower back.
Sexual problems, including pain and decreased libido.
Constipation.
Vaginal discharge or bleeding.

Treatment and recovery

Once a prolapse has developed, surgery to fix the affected organs is usually the only way to cure it effectively.

However, another option is to use a device known as a vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. Many women happily manage their prolapse this way.

MerdeAlor Wed 11-May-16 16:59:20

I'm still here hav
So, good news but it sounds like a frustrating process to get to this point.

I'm still waiting for a date for my hysterectomy and bowel repair. So bloody frustrating because the date has a knock on effect on my husband - he'll need to take holiday to look after our disabled son, and the rest of his team at work who have agreed not to book their summer hols until he knows his dates.
In France summer hols are extensive and I think the two surgical teams are still deciding when theirs start from. Harumph.

havalina1 Wed 11-May-16 11:47:14

Hi, is anyone still here?

After umpteen doctors and Physio visits both have confirmed that I have an anterior wall laxity issue and my bladder is bulging into the weakness but my bladder has not slipped or dropped.

I've got a gynae appointment in June with the NHS and from googling private options it seems like the fix is vaginal repair with stitching. It sounds quite straightforward... (Of course it won't be....)

I'm getting so little help with NHS gps and physios in comparison to the options from my private physio and gp. I've also got a private gynae consultant appt but ideally I'd rather any repair was done on the NHS as my private healthcare package won't cover anything pregnancy related! angry What shocks me is the range of options to fix it compared to the endless "do your exercises", "try a pessary".

Anyone had a vaginal wall stitched to strengthen it?

TryingtobePrepared Thu 28-Apr-16 21:08:07

Thanks it just seems so marked much more than other diuretics

liddell0109 Thu 28-Apr-16 20:00:20

Hello ladies. I've just stumbled upon you all after a Google search.

Is there anyone here who's had a TVT? I had mine done in January this year (I'm in the UK) and so far all is well aside from constipation 😫.

That said I'm having some pulling feelings at the site my stitches were the last couple of days and was looking for anyone who may have experienced the same thing?

MerdeAlor Wed 27-Apr-16 20:49:29

Caffeine is a diuretic Trying so you will need to go to the loo more. Aside from that I don't know of any other link <caveat, I know very little about prolapses generally>.

havalina1 Tue 26-Apr-16 20:36:02

I'm amazed to say this and hope I don't jinx myself but I'm almost symptom free of my prolapse lately....

Is the pelvic floor really capable of making that much difference??

Can healing after birth keep progressing into the seventh month post labour?

I've also started Pilates at the Physio centre and it puts a bit of pressure on me down below the next day but nothing near what it was like and on a constant basis at that.

My GP has written a referral letter to the gynae team finally and I'll follow up with that regardless.

I'd just love to hear if anyone else has intermittent symptoms like mine? I've been told I have an anterior/bladder prolapse that is somewhere between a. Stage 1 and 2 (everybody keeps giving a different score on it)....

And if it's it's relevant... My pelvic floor was not working at all up til a few weeks ago. I had no capacity to 'collect' the muscles at the front, but I feel able to make that connection now and do the lifts easily now.

And I realise all the pf lifts I did while pregnant - was not doing them right at all confused

TryingtobePrepared Fri 22-Apr-16 22:32:38

Been lurking for a while but wondered if anyone could explain the link between caffeine and prolapse, is it just a coincidence I need to wee more after a diet coke? Is avoiding caffeine helpful? Thanks

FuckyNell Mon 18-Apr-16 12:49:08

Yes it's all good here no problems.

I have heard some horrors so thought well not everyone suffers after this type of surgery. It's good to have a balance I think.

Was painful at first what with a bruised rear and painful farts/poo blush even though it was done vaginally.

All settled very well though

havalina1 Mon 18-Apr-16 11:09:18

Aber..fringe

I know what you mean. I'm 41 and I'm horrified I've had this happen. My baby is almost 7 months old. Physio said it is so likely from 1) left in prolonged pushing stage of labour with 2) a 10.8 baby that was 3) delivered by forceps.

My emotional state has been awful, but I've turned a corner with it.

Some days I can barely feel it (my bladder is tipping into weakened vaginal wall). And some days I can. It's been diagnosed by several docs and physios and ranged from a stage 1 to a stage 2 depending on who is looking.

I've decided to crack ok doing whatever I like (walking, riding, playing either kids) and if I end up needing surgery so be it. Right now on a good day I don't think I do. I am doing a tonne of pelvic exercise and I "mind" it during the day - I can feel it is really strong now and I go to a private Physio every 4 weeks.

Are you breastfeeding? My Physio says there will be even more changes once I stop feeding my ds. She said if my prolapse is due to the vaginal wall being damaged, exercise will help, as the muscular tissue of the pelvic floor runs fibrously through the vsginal wall so it is possible to exercise it.

But if it's due to ligaments stretching and organs being physically lower, exercise won't make much difference.

So that's my tale of woe. Good luck with your doctor, let us know how you get on.

havalina1 Mon 18-Apr-16 10:59:31

Nell how is it now? Going well?

FuckyNell Mon 18-Apr-16 08:13:36

Hi I had rectocele repair 2 weeks ago today so am here in an advisory capacity 😀

Hi all, can I join? Not yet diagnosed but off to doc tomorrow. Have a 10 month old and after having her for a while I had a pile or two but these went away, then just a couple of days ago, think after some digging in the garden, I've had a weird draggy, tampon-falling-out feeling. Cue panic kegel exercises and the next day, it hurts like heck to press anywhere on my lower bladder area. This is the bit that scares me. Not a uti, very well versed in those since being sexually active.
Am a total wimp about having stuff wrong with me, esp. in that area and thinking about it makes me on the verge of tears. Am 35, luckily not in a relationship so no requests to dtd any time soon!
Hope the doc is thorough, they're usually a bit crap here.

Havalina1 Thu 14-Apr-16 14:07:13

Thanks Merde. Not long now for your surgery.

I'm making small progress but really having to fight for it. My private Physio is insisting I have a grade 2 and that I am a candidate for surgery should I want it. I'm having some positive results from exercising there so I am coping better. She's said she will write to my GP explaining plus she is the nhs pessary expert and I can use that service also.

GP surgery hadn't processed my registration yet so still can't make an appointment. Hopefully get the ball rolling next week.

How are you feeling now?

MerdeAlor Tue 12-Apr-16 19:45:54

Sorry to hear that hav sounds like you're being passed round, with no-one taking care of you or commiting to a diagnosis.

I hope the GP appointment went well and that you have been able to figure a strategy going forward so you make some progress.

I had my first surgery last week, pretty simple fibroid removal and hysteroscopy but I can feel that my prolapse has worsened and things don't feel right below.

Roll on prolapse repair..

havalina1 Sat 09-Apr-16 14:33:27

I'm getting a touch of rage ....

NHS Physio referred me to the gynae. I have moved house so I'm not as close (but still close enough) to the hospital I had my baby in. So I asked to get referred to there as I have umpteen follow up appointments there already due to a condition he has (he gets blood checks very regularly). So she can't do that, it transpires, she can only refer to the other hospital, but agrees as my notes are all at A hospital, I should see the team there. But she can't make the referral.

Subsequently I had contacted hospital A about my labour and am using their after care service for traumatic labours. They were surprised I couldn't get to a gynae and it seems my file wasn't allocated to sit under the care of any consultant at the time for checking. So they contacted the consultant who signed off (but didn't do) my delivery. He replied he would be happy to see me but only via a GP referral. So - back once AGAIN to my new GP and ask for this to be done.

I'm getting really upset at people poking around down there, and coming up with different diagnoses, plus contradicting advice (use a pessary / don't use a pessary you're too young / 5 months Physio will correct this / ask for surgery if you definitely will not have more children). My private insurance does not include anything childbirth related - wonderful.

I'm just annoyed at the endless appointments getting passed from billy to jack. Meanwhile I'm paying for Physio privately, starting next week.

Sorry I am really ranting here.

To top it off, all my weird symptoms, I am not sure they are entirely prolapse related - how could I know I'm not a doc - which is why I want someone to give me an overall check.

My main symptom is a very hard feeling like two train tracks running either side of my vagina back to my bum. Plus discharge and a feeling like I've little marbles inside me that move. I also get sharp pain in my vagina like electric jabs, mild but random, on my left side. I've no idea what is going on and I'm getting so upset at no progress and being told "it's only been 6 months". After 6 weeks with my first I was back horse riding.

So GP Monday morning again for more prodding and pleading.

Again I'm sorry for ranting. Just feel so low.

havalina1 Sat 09-Apr-16 14:33:15

I'm getting a touch of rage ....

NHS Physio referred me to the gynae. I have moved house so I'm not as close (but still close enough) to the hospital I had my baby in. So I asked to get referred to there as I have umpteen follow up appointments there already due to a condition he has (he gets blood checks very regularly). So she can't do that, it transpires, she can only refer to the other hospital, but agrees as my notes are all at A hospital, I should see the team there. But she can't make the referral.

Subsequently I had contacted hospital A about my labour and am using their after care service for traumatic labours. They were surprised I couldn't get to a gynae and it seems my file wasn't allocated to sit under the care of any consultant at the time for checking. So they contacted the consultant who signed off (but didn't do) my delivery. He replied he would be happy to see me but only via a GP referral. So - back once AGAIN to my new GP and ask for this to be done.

I'm getting really upset at people poking around down there, and coming up with different diagnoses, plus contradicting advice (use a pessary / don't use a pessary you're too young / 5 months Physio will correct this / ask for surgery if you definitely will not have more children). My private insurance does not include anything childbirth related - wonderful.

I'm just annoyed at the endless appointments getting passed from billy to jack. Meanwhile I'm paying for Physio privately, starting next week.

Sorry I am really ranting here.

To top it off, all my weird symptoms, I am not sure they are entirely prolapse related - how could I know I'm not a doc - which is why I want someone to give me an overall check.

My main symptom is a very hard feeling like two train tracks running either side of my vagina back to my bum. Plus discharge and a feeling like I've little marbles inside me that move. I also get sharp pain in my vagina like electric jabs, mild but random, on my left side. I've no idea what is going on and I'm getting so upset at no progress and being told "it's only been 6 months". After 6 weeks with my first I was back horse riding.

So GP Monday morning again for more prodding and pleading.

Again I'm sorry for ranting. Just feel so low.

MerdeAlor Sat 02-Apr-16 19:44:22

Not smug at all Motorcycle I'm delighted for you, to hear it has gone smoothly and you've recovered so quickly gives me confidence in having the procedure done myself.

My surgeon advised I watched TVT surgery on you tube to see what happened, I really wished I hadn't. Watching any surgical procedure prior to having it done is a bad idea!

MotorcycleMama Sat 02-Apr-16 13:33:44

Blimey! The things women go through!!
So sorry to hear all of your misfortunes.
I had a TVT about 10 days ago to remedy my stress incontinence brought on by giving birth to my DS, who is now 2. After 2 years of wearing pads, carrying around spare underwear due to regular knicker-wetting incidents, I can now happily say that I am pad-free, and haven't leaked once since. I am not up to full speed yet post- operatively, but I did have to run for the bus yesterday and still didn't leak!
My dream is to get fit again, and ultimately to start running again, but I really don't know when it is safe to start.
I'm sorry if this post seems annoyingly smug, but after 2 years of poor self-esteem, no sex, and severely limited physical activity, I feel compelled to sing out!
I hope this gives some confidence to anybody due to have a TVT.

MerdeAlor Thu 24-Mar-16 16:03:31

Sorry to hear that your prolapse returned Addicted

Trouble is, there will be times when you have to lift with young children. It must be so difficult. It's positive that it did the job though and fixed the stress incontinence.

Havalina1 Thu 24-Mar-16 15:29:48

Sorry - I didn't mean to be insensitive to your overall post - that is such a pity the bladder work didn't last longer. Is the surgery less major when it's just one procedure?

How old are we all here? Everything I read is that it's older people, though it seems like lots of women here are of the baby-making age. I'm an older mum, have a 6mo and a 2yo and I'm 41 smile I was fit as a flea before all this shite started, light weighted and didn't smoke. So much for the crap I read on how to recover - get fit, stop smoking and resign yourself to it that it happens hmm

Havalina1 Thu 24-Mar-16 15:25:11

Stress inconvenience - I laughed at that grin

Havalina1 Thu 24-Mar-16 15:24:36

Merde thanks for that, I will try those exercises plus ask my Physio for more specific stuff. Although given she is in the minority about my type of prolapse she's about as useful as a chocolate teapot to me right now. Best of luck to you for surgery - you must be counting down the days.

Generally speaking, is there any chance we can be still recovering from childbirth, and to expect a continued level of recovery, or is it too late for that? I'm six months post delivery. Lately I don't feel my prolapse but when I sneeze I'm like an inverted trampoline down there. I don't know if that my weak pelvic floors fault or actually things (organs) bulging momentarily. Sorry, I know that sounds gross. The GP said my bladder had slipped a little bit but not fully and there was only a bulge from it when my system was under pressure (the coughing test).

We moved house last week and we are just out of the postcode catchment to remain at our regular surgery. So damnit like I wanted more hassle, I've to register at some new practice. I've no proper internet yet either at home so haven't googled what's around. I just don't like the idea of more new doctors examining me.

Addictedtohotbaths1 Thu 24-Mar-16 09:24:41

Ha stress inconvenience well I guess it is an inconvenience!

Addictedtohotbaths1 Thu 24-Mar-16 09:23:48

Hello - sorry for lack of posting, I have been trying to get back to normality and stop thinking about all this.

Everything has been going well until about a month ago and my bladder has prolapsed again, so pretty pissed that I only got 4 months out of the repair.

I think a combination of carrying a clingy toddler, going back to work and some kind of genetic defect is the cause. Consultant has told me to increase the Physio and try to stop it progressing. If it gets worse the next step would be a repair with mesh which I really really don't want.

Sorry to be negative especially for people about to have repairs, but actually I don't regret it because I have no stress inconvenience now and my bowel repair is still going good.

Waiting sorry you are still on pain relief, what a long recovery. Did the move go ok? Have the haematomas gone now?

Merde good luck for you op it sounds like you have a long process ahead. I've learnt that vitamin c is really good for tissue strength and healing so get as much as you can if you aren't already.

Havalina, welcome to this crappy club! But it's been really helpful to me for support and advice.

MerdeAlor Wed 23-Mar-16 12:18:26

First surgery in 10 days time Hav

So, you can work your bladder muslces to start with by practicing stopping having a wee in mid flow. Over the course of a week or so practice each time you go for a wee. Then try to visualise moving those same muscles when not weeing. It should feel like a swing moving up the mid line of your body. Towards your stomach. Practice isolating just that muscle several times a day. She described imagining a lasso around it to put it up even further and then tightening the lasso.

There are exercises for everything down there. I practised them all including rectal exercises and of course the normal perineal vaginal ones. It was a proper work out 😁

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now