Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pt 8 (Oct13) Any old prolapse! Uterus/womb prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, urethrocele, incontinence, pelvic floor, anterior and posterior repair, TVT etc (994 Posts)

(328 Posts)
gottagetthroughthis Wed 19-Mar-14 00:24:19

Welcome to thread 8 (again - see below) of a long-running series of posts from ladies suffering from pelvic prolapses to support each other through the process of diagnosis, repair and recovery.

With apologies for confusion in thread numbers - an earlier thread was called part 7 but it was actually the 6th thread.

Here are the previous threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Thread 5
Thread 6
Thread 7
Thread 8

Info from BBC Health

What is a pelvic prolapse?

As the muscles, ligaments and supporting tissues in the pelvis become weaker, they are less able to hold in the organs of the pelvis such as the womb (uterus) or bladder.

Gravity pulls these organs down and, in the more severe cases, may appear through the entrance to the vagina.

A variety of problems can occur, depending on where the weakness lies and which organs are able to descend, but in every case there is some degree of prolapse of the vaginal wall, which begins to invert (rather like a sock turning inside out).
Prolapse of the womb or uterus is the most common prolapse, affecting as many as one in eight older women to some degree
Prolapse of the bladder, known as a cystocele, is less common.
Prolapse of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the bladder) is known as a urethrocele.
Prolapse of the intestines is quite rare, and known as an enterocele or rectocele.

Symptoms

Symptoms depend on which tissues descend, and how severe the prolapse is.

They may include:
A sense of heaviness or pressure in the pelvis.
The appearance of a bulge of tissue in the genital area, which can be quite alarming, and is often red and sore.
Urinary problems, such as having to urinate more frequently, feeling the need urgently, being incontinent (losing control of the bladder) or, conversely, being unable to pass urine when you need to.
Pain in the pelvis or lower back.
Sexual problems, including pain and decreased libido.
Constipation.
Vaginal discharge or bleeding.

Treatment and recovery

Once a prolapse has developed, surgery to fix the affected organs is usually the only way to cure it effectively.

However, another option is to use a device known as a vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. Many women happily manage their prolapse this way.

Frenchfrogbutt Sat 12-Apr-14 18:41:54

Hello
Sorry that you have to live that . I dont really know
The english health système SO wont be able to tell you about the différents Steps in the process
Is IT a rectocele or a prolapse of the rectum itself i guess IT Will dépend on which IT is your gp is either likely to send you to physio or to surgeon consultant Gynecologue if its a rectocele most of the Time or proctologue if its a prolapse and if they décide surgery is the best option.
I suggest you write down all your symptoms and feelings as well as a list of question and that you go to the meetings with your partner not only for support but also its always better to remember everything that was SAID . I noticed that i was so emotional during those meeting that i almost black out after . Dont Worry all the members of the thread Will give you more pertinent answers . Take care !

Noordinarygirl Sat 12-Apr-14 23:34:05

Lauren is it a prolapse of your bowel into your vagina (rectocele) or a rectal prolapse? I'm sorry I only have 'experience' of a rectocele (and other stuff!) and not the other. I'm sure someone will be along soon who has had the same.

All you need to know is that we are all here for you to help support as best we can and to send you big cyber hugs and to let you know that you most deffo are not alone. These things are all very, VERY scary when they happen but please let me assure you that there are things that can be done and ladies do recover from such hideous stuff because we're strong and tough!!!!

Dragon great to hear from you. SO pleased you are doing really well. Strangely enough I have also started telling my daughters to appreciate the little things like sneezing and running whilst they are young. Oh how naiive they are!

Happy are you really running??? I AM impressed. Brilliant to see you are now through to the other side of all your problems at long last. It seems an age to me since I last felt 'normal' and to hear how you are doing cheers me up massively.

French my rectocele wasn't SO big. I didn't get any infections but it did rub quite a bit if my bowels were pretty full (sorry if that's TMI!). Sending you big hugs from me.

Frenchfrogbutt Sun 13-Apr-14 08:54:56

Thanks noordinary mine is small too but low. I really hope its not related but more linked to the postpartum dryness.
Well well see ! Hugs & bisous have a lovely sunday

mrsclairet Sun 13-Apr-14 22:02:17

Hi I am feeling really emotional tonight. I had a bit of a look and a feel down there which I probably shouldn't have done as it has only been 4 weeks but it just seems so different and it doesn't really feel right. I know its early days and I won't do it again for a while but I just feel like the op hasn't really fixed things. I am sore because it always deems to be wet down there, I don't feel like I'm leaking but I guess I must be leakimg small amounts. I haven't had a tvt put in. I'm not sure I can use any cream because it is in the area between my vagina and anus. The urogyn said my perineum was too short and I thought the operation was going to go some way to fix this but now I don't think it has. If I put cream on my bottom it seems to get through to my vagina. I'm terrified of having sex and I can't seem to keep my bottom clean. I feel like an 80 year old not a 32 year old. My dh goes back to work tomorrow as it has been 4 weeks since my op. My kids are 3 and 5 and they just don't understand why mummy can't do everything. This is just so hard.

lauren6283 Sun 13-Apr-14 22:51:13

Thankyou so much for your support frenchfrogbutt and noordinarygirl I really appreciate your kind words. I am not really sure but I think it's a rectocele, I had a third degree tear when my son was born 5 months ago and have only just realised that a lot of my symptoms aren't just normal after childbirth which is what I thought for a while. Things just aren't the same, but reading up on what others have said, I'm not really hopeful :-(

mrsclairet big hugs. Am sorry I don't have anything else useful to say but I hope things improve soon.

Frenchfrogbutt Mon 14-Apr-14 07:21:01

MsClairet dont jump too Quick on conclusion and remember its a second op do IT might take longer to heal . Please Call and insist to have a meeting with your consultant asap. Big hugs and take care you Will be soon better

happylilme Mon 14-Apr-14 19:59:00

Lauren your story sounds very like mine. I had a third degree tear, although at the time was told second. I waited 15 months before I went to see Gp through embarrassment. she said the only way to repair the rectocele was surgery. So that was the end of last August, seen consultant in September who told me that it appeared my stitches around my perineum had come away therefore my rectocele got worse. Had my pre op November then operation on 6th December. It all happened quite quickly for me. I have no regrets so far about having surgery. I can poo normal now, things are soooo much better in the bedroom department and I actually feel normal down there again. I live in fear that it will return but fingers crossed.

Yes noordinary and Mrsclairet, running again albeit rather slowly have not tried out on the road and don't think I will due to the harder impact.

Mrsclairet, I can remember the watching stageshock and it does shock you, wondering what it going to look like, feel etc. it does improve very quickly after about 10 weeks. I always had a wetness feeling also and to this day I don't really know what caused it but that cleared up also. It's still very early days and don't be too hard on yourself. You will heal but I understand your apprehension from the previous surgery. Think positive thoughts, easier said than done I know, but it will help with your recovery. Hopefully when you see the surgeon again that this will reassure you.
You have my sympathy It is hard with two kids, my youngest was about 20 months when I had my op but we do what us mums do best struggle on and we get through. Just do the minimum would be my advice your house won't fall down. hope today was a better day thanks

mrsclairet Wed 16-Apr-14 07:25:04

Hi happylilme thanks for that message that was really lovely. Its so good to hear positive stories! I have just got to get through the next 2 days and tn my dh will be off over the Easter weekend. I have been trying to just do the Minimum housework. I haven't done any ironing or vacuuming or cleaning the bathroom but I will tackle that when the kids are back at school. thanks again for your message x

mrsclairet Wed 16-Apr-14 07:28:51

PS thanks Lauren and French frog too. I thought that I had a 2nd degree tear with both my boys but when I saw the consultant he said he thought it was a missed third degree tear. My 2nd son was 9lb 7ozs and I am only 5'3. The consultant couldn't believe I had given birth naturally!

kazzawazzawoo Wed 16-Apr-14 20:48:07

Hi. I have posted before, but it's a while ago. I haven't been to see my gp yet. It's not easyto get appointments and I suppose I don't really want confirmation that something's wrong.

However, when I try to insert my mooncup or a tampon I can feel a bulge and when I push against it, it feels like I'm pushing against my bowel. It's becoming increasingly difficult to get my mooncup in, impossible at times.

I can't talk to my husband about it, I struggle to talk about anything embarrassing with him. I feel old sad I'm rubbish at doing pelvic floor exercises, never sure I'm doing them right. I'm terrified I'll need surgery.

kianaidan Thu 17-Apr-14 11:19:49

Clairet - no advise to offer but wanted tosay I know how u feel. I was told I had a 2nd degree tear with each of my 3 boys. Yet I.ve had an EUA that showed I have short perinium and also bleed from back during menstration. Also have messy clean up after bm which makes me feel 80 not nearly 30.

lauren6283 Thu 17-Apr-14 14:26:24

Am feeling really fed up today as my gynaecology appointment for this afternoon was cancelled this morning. So now I'm waiting even longer to find out what (if anything) can be done. Am just so fed up and feel bad for my husband as we haven't been able to do anything in the bedroom for over 6 months now. :-( How long did it take for everyone else to get sorted after initial GP appointments?

kazzawazzawoo It sounds similar to my situation but I also find it difficult to empty my bowels properly. If you don't go to your Gp things won't get better. I know it's terrifying, it was for me too. But I found a really nice one and he was lovely. Don't suffer because you're embarrassed about something the Gp probably won't even think twice about. xx

mrsclairet Thu 17-Apr-14 16:33:56

kianaidan yes that sounds exactly like me! Sorry I can't remember whether you've said before but have you had surgery yet? I have no idea whether he has made my perineum longer or not. I think that was the plan with this surgery. I think next time I see my consultant I will have to go in with a list of questions as otherwise I come out thinking oh I wish i had asked such and such.

kazzawazzawoo I used to be so embarassed about everything but I've kind of got over it now. My dh came to the appointment with the consultant and that helped as the consultant explained everything and then suddenly my dh understood that they had really messed up the stitching after I had given birth. I have been examined my so many different people now, the worst was by quite a young, handsome doctor when I was in A+E. But the more I talk to people about it or hear stories from people on the internet I realise that it's really common and the gp will have seen it all a hundred times before.

lauren6283 I know how you feel, it has been 3 years since I had sex with my dh and I feel so bad as he is only 33. We have talked about it and he assures me he is okay but I do have really down days sometimes where I think maybe he should go and find someone else. It hasn't helped recently that my cousin's husband has told her he doesn't love her anymore and she is devastated. That is the 1st person close to me who is going through a divorce and it has knocked me sideways. They have a 6 and a 12 year old and it's just so sad. Anyway my ds has just come to the computer...I better go!

kazzawazzawoo Thu 17-Apr-14 21:11:09

Thanks for the replies. My dh has no idea there is anything wrong. I can't bring myself to tell him.

I will see my gp soon.

kazzawazzawoo Fri 18-Apr-14 16:54:30

I did actually pluck up the courage to tell dh I think something's wrong, as I didn't want him to think we weren't having sex because I didn't want to sad

kianaidan Sat 19-Apr-14 21:14:04

Clairet sorry for delay was my 30th yesterday. I.ve had no surgery. I.ve only had issues for past 9mths after my 3rd baby, quick birth but stitches came out early. I have no bulge or incontinence fortunately but have to use baby wipes inside after every bm. I have a weak pelvic floor. I.ve been having tests to see if I havr a rectal vaginal fistula as I have bleeding from tge back during periids and gas from tge front.

mrsclairet Sun 20-Apr-14 14:00:30

That's alright you don't have to apologise! Hope you had a good birthday. I hope you find out what the problem is. I passed gas through the front sometimes before my op, not always. It has happened a couple of times since the op but not as bad. I am so fed up of worrying and wondering if everything is ok now and how long its going to last for and whether the pain is normal, or the constipation is normal. Its exhausting! I went shopping yesterday and pushed a trolley round Sainsbury's. I didn't do a big weekly shop but I had quite a bit of pain this morning and now I'm worried about whether I should have done it or not.

kianaidan Sun 20-Apr-14 17:59:37

Hugs Claire - Its really hard to not do when u have 2 little ones relying on u. Maybe start shopping online and u can save ur energy for a short walk to the park with kids, much more worthwhile tge strain.

mrsclairet Mon 21-Apr-14 07:34:28

I'm really sorry to be on here moaning so much but I don't really have anyone else to moan to! I am 5 weeks post op now and I don't know if I am brewing some sort of infection. I have continued to have a yellowy discharge but I have just been to the toilet and its brown now on my pad. I am feeling a bit fed up because I am also bleeding a tiny bit when I do a poo and after I do a wee I still feel like its wet which makes me sore. I tell my dh a bit of this but he gets fed up if I moan too much. It looks like I need to up the fibre. I just feel like I'm sore all the time and its hard to stay upbeat and cheerful when you don't ever get any relief. Then of course I've got my 3 and 5 year old on at me, I can't wait till they go back to school!
Kianaidan I do usually get deliveries, I paid for a years worth of free deliveries just before my op but I wanted to go to Sainsburys to look at the clothes and I thought we only need a few things but then it always ends up being more than you think.

kianaidan Mon 21-Apr-14 07:53:28

Sorry Clairet - didn.t realise. Hope its not an infection. I see ur kids have u up early too lol. If hubbys off today try and get some chill time. Take Care

mrsclairet Mon 21-Apr-14 17:57:31

I have overdone it again today, oww oww oww! We went to a craft centre and they had an Easter egg hunt and a car boot sale so I ended up being on my feet for an hour and a half. It was fun but now I'm paying for it big time. Tomorrow both the kids are at school and pre school so I'm definitely going to put my feet up, the jobs can wait!

flouncymcflouncerson Mon 21-Apr-14 17:59:19

I lost track of the thread and have just found you all.

I have my appt with consultant tomorrow to discus going on waiting list for my next surgery. Still haven't heard from my 2nd opinion hospital yet which is annoying as I'd hoped to know what's he recommended prior to gettin placed on the waiting list. I just feel a hysterectomy is quite radical and wondered whether there is another option. I have a uterine prolapse and bladder and likely bowel too. I had surgery for the bladder in November but although it went well it's now reoccurred, likely due to hypermobility. What should I be asking tomorrow???

Also I'm looking at losing my job. Not great but I don't have many other options.

Noordinarygirl Mon 21-Apr-14 21:41:22

I thought I'd put in a good news story to let all you ladies know that there is life after prolapse. At 4 weeks post op I was able to walk only 1 mile before things started to really hurt. Now at 9 weeks post op I can comfortably walk 3-4 miles with no pain at all.

BMs are now regular and good but I do have a very high fibre diet and everything is on the up at last. (Apart from splitting up with my partner and now living through the hell of trying to keep the house tidy for viewings for selling the house. With 4 teenagers in the house it's a pretty tall order, let me tell you.)

I DO still get the odd painful twinge if I've really done too much. I'm still avoiding lifting baskets of wet washing along with hoovering carpets and lifting shopping bags. I also can't sit on hard chairs for too long without it being uncomfortable but that will come in time. The consultant is happy with my progress and says everything is healing beautifully. Phew!!

I have not had sex (as I am now officially single again) but I can tell you that with the aid of 'Roger' I can let you know that things are tighter down there (but not too tight) and I seem to be working just fine, thank you very much!! wink

Please do not lose heart if you are at the beginning or middle of the nightmare that is the world of prolapses. There is hope and things can get better. (For those that don't know my back story - I had a pretty major op called a sacrocolpopexy along with a 'mobilisation' of my rectum which followed 14 months after initial sub-total hysterectomy).

Take care all you lovely ladies living through your own personal battles and woes with your insides. Big hugs to all x smile

lauren6283 Tue 22-Apr-14 07:58:06

flouncy my heart goes out to you. Am so sorry that you have ended up having to have a hysterectomy. I hope everything turns out ok.

mrsclairet If I were you I would go back to GP or consultant and let them know you're having problems. You don't have anything to lose right?

noordinarygirl this 'roger' sounds like the perfect guy grin

mrsclairet Tue 22-Apr-14 09:44:09

flouncy one thing I have learnt through all this is not just to accept everything that the doctors say. If you are not sure ask lots of questions or get a second opinion. A hysterectomy is major surgery.

noordinarygirl thanks for the positive story. I feel a bit frustrated because I had started to feel better after my last surgery and now I feel a bit like I'm back at square one and I think I might have a fissure because it hurts when I poo and there's a tiny bit of blood. It seems with the surgery that you always get constipated and then that makes my piles flare up but hopefully in another month or so I will be feeling a lot better. Sorry you're going through a break up, hope the house sells soon!

lauren I have got an appointment with my consultant on 12th May. I think the pain is probably just due to overdoing things and my piles, the kids were driving me mad in the house and my dh had got a bit fed up of taking them out on his own, plus he was back at work last week so I felt I had to get them out of the house. I think it was blood yesterday, I'm sure they told me you can get discharge for 4-6 weeks so I'm not too concerned at the moment and it doesn't smell so I don't think there's an infection but I will keep an eye on it. Now the kids are at school I'm going to go and take up residence on the sofa!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now