Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how to treat acne on back caused by Mirena coil

(14 Posts)
hildaogden99 Mon 17-Mar-14 15:05:03

short of ripping the stupid thing out!! Not only have I had to endure constant spotting since it was put in 3 months, now this! I suffered with acne when I was younger so didn't expect to have it again in my 40s! I presume it's the hormones in the coil causing it. Is it likely to get better with time? Very depressing especially as the nicer weather is on it's way and I feel like a leper!

Queenofthedrivensnow Mon 17-Mar-14 20:06:52

I don't know but I have the same problem I think caused by Cerazette. I have tried calamine and sudocrem and scrubs etc. I was going to buy some clearasil type stuff or see doc...

joencaitlinsmum Tue 18-Mar-14 12:37:43

It is the hormones, I'm on my 3rd mirena and every time I have had it changed get spotty, it does stop once the hormones are not so strong.

hildaogden99 Tue 18-Mar-14 13:55:54

I do hope you're right - it's VILE. I even refused to take kids swimming other day as I'm embarrassed by my skin. How long did it take to subside?

PeacesOfAte Tue 18-Mar-14 14:11:09

I've been getting the same from the mini pill (same hormone as the Mirena) after going on it three months ago, having not had spots for years - there's now loads on my back and a few on my face and chest. Have just had the Mirena fitted this week so was hoping it would go.

hildaogden99 Tue 18-Mar-14 14:29:38

Just bought some Clearasil wash & cream so will try that. However in the past my spots only ever responded to DRUGS. i.e. antibiotics, combined pill & finally roaccutane!

waterlego Tue 18-Mar-14 14:41:46

I'm not on any hormonal contraceptives anymore, but I still have cystic acne on my back. (It started when I was on the pill/Mirena- not sure of exact timeline).

I have stopped using shampoo/conditioner/shower gel with sulphates in, after reading something about it online. Since then, I get fewer breakouts. Still the occasional one, but nowhere near as bad as they used to be.

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Wed 19-Mar-14 11:58:01

I found a power shower was the best thing for my spotty back, and gentle body wash, and net pouffe thing.

It actually went away in the latter years of taking femodene which I think contains a more acne friendly progestogen (levenorgestrel is not, but you have less of it with Mirena). Unfortunately, they have taken it off me, and am now back to relying on the power shower sad

MikeLitoris Wed 19-Mar-14 12:02:26

I've had my Mirena a year and have been like a spotty teen ever since. Great big scabby, sore boils. I look terrible.

I was supposed to be having it out today but the only nurse that can do it is off apparently.

I'm hoping once its out I'll go back to normal but after some of the stories I have read about it I'm not holding my breath.

hildaogden99 Wed 19-Mar-14 14:58:46

I'm annoyed with myself for having it fitted without researching it properly. I was more or less told I was having it fitted & was so grateful to be offered a solution to my bleeding problem caused by fibroids I didn't question it. The result has been non stop bleeding for 3 months & now this. I've been told to persevere for 2 more months. I have a feeling it will be coming out as I now realise those hormones for someone acne prone like me are a total no no.

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Wed 19-Mar-14 15:26:16

I don't know whether it would have helped to research it properly - how much of the hormone gets into your system and how it affects you seems to vary from person to person. So, giving it a go was probably the best thing to do.

The doctor who took me off the pill sold it to me as something that would stop my periods and provide the progestogen part of hrt. The doctor I saw when I decided to have it said that it was probably a bit extreme for my time of life (49 at the time) and would take at least 6 months to settle, so probably was not worth the hassle.
The doctor that fitted them retired, so I never got to try it (and I am glad, because I would have had to find someone else to take it out!)

hildaogden99 Wed 19-Mar-14 17:27:21

I'm nearly 47. They took me off the combined pill due to my age (breast cancer risk). I was on it for years with no problems, and good skin!

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Wed 19-Mar-14 17:43:34

They took me off because I have migraines with aura.

I have always had migraines with aura, and had been on the pill for most of 29 years. Apparantly, 49 and 1 month is 'nearly 50 anyway' ! angry

I tried pop instead for a while, but it was no good for me, so I am just winging it with the contraception - now I am actually 50, my periods are fizzling out anyway.

princessalbert Wed 19-Mar-14 17:54:22

I imagine that the only cure will be to get the coil out.

I haven't tried it, but did go on the POP briefly. I am prone to acne anyway, but within the month I was a real spotty mess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now