Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can beta blockers stop you sleeping?

(2 Posts)
MyHeartache Mon 17-Mar-14 14:25:36

I have been prescribed propranolol and amitriptyline for anxiety. Amitriptyline is well known for making you feel drowsy and can be quite sedating, and since taking it I have slept well and quite deeply.

But last night I took my propranolol later than usual (about 9pm) and I just couldn't fall asleep. Just lay there all night, maybe managed about an hour's broken sleep that's all sad

Could it have been the propranolol, does anyone know?

hiddenhome Mon 17-Mar-14 20:15:09

Yes. Propranolol can make you feel tired during the day, but cause insomnia at night.

Try taking Passiflora and Valerian capsules (health food stores), Herbal Night Time tea bags (Dr Stuarts) or Hops - try to get the flower heads and soak in hot water (buy them from home brew outlets).

If you still struggle, then try to get low dose Propranolol - say 10 or 20mg tablets and manage on the lowest dose you can. The lower the dose, the fewer the side effects.

Another option is to ask for an SSRI antidepressant - some of these treat anxiety and any side effects generally wear off after a couple of weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now