Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Water

(5 Posts)
Dopolis Sun 16-Mar-14 20:33:35

My daughter is almost 22months and we still give her water. At what stage can we start giving her something else? and can anybody recommend anything that is low in sugar?

beckslovestimmy Sun 16-Mar-14 21:33:17

Why do you want to give her something else? You can give very dilute squash or very dilute fruit juice but if she's happy with water I'd stick with that.

Lottie4 Mon 17-Mar-14 09:50:50

Sorry, my reaction is the same as becksolvestimmy, why would you want to give her something else. Water is the best thing she can drink. When she goes to school you will find some schools insist on them drinking just water in the day. Water is all that's available at lunchtimes a my daughter's school, so if they get a taste for something else and won't drink water, you could have a thirsty child.

For now I'd say water, a little milk and if you really want to give something else try some diluted orange (or other flavour) juice as at least you'll be getting some extra vitamin c in her. You can unsweetened squash if you really would like her to have some, perhaps it could be a weekend treat or treat if you have a meal out.

addictedtosugar Mon 17-Mar-14 10:20:55

Water and milk here for my 2 and 4 year olds.
Maybe 2-3 times a week, they get a cm of apple, cranberry or blueberry juice in the bottom of a glass of water.

Personally, I think sugar is better for them than aspartame and other sweeteners, but then I also think butter is better than margarines. The kids have only had squash at friends houses, parties, or if were out for dinner and there is no alternative. They don't ask for it.

madchocolatemum48 Mon 17-Mar-14 10:29:18

Never offered my kids anything other than water, Now at 9 & 7 one still only drinks water, the other sometimes diluted juice. They occasionally ask for fruit juice at breakfast time.
They are not interested in fizzy drinks, even when their friends have it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now