Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cold going on or ages - is it just me?!?

(12 Posts)
Le1890 Sun 16-Mar-14 15:56:14

It started this time two weeks ago, just felt stuffy. By the Tuesday it was full blown couldn't lift my head and was like that until the Friday. Felt a lot better on the sunday and all of last week felt bette still not 100%. Just really congested and blowing yellow gunk from my nose.

Then on Friday I started to have a headache and my throat swelled up. I went to gp out of hours as I thought tonsillitis but he said no its viral sinusitis. I don't feel very unwell like the way I was but I don't feel myself if that makes sense. Just a general fatigue feeling and vague sore throat etc.

Its making me miserable and worry something is wrong with me that I can't get well...

Any advice?x

exexpat Sun 16-Mar-14 16:03:01

Are you sure it's not hay fever? Do you still have the sinus symptoms? Hay fever symptoms can be very similar (blocked sinuses, sort throat etc), and anyone allergic to tree pollen will have started suffering in the past couple of weeks. It can also start in adulthood - I didn't develop a noticeable tree pollen allergy until I was in my 20s.

Might be worth trying antihistamines to see if they make any difference.

MiaowTheCat Sun 16-Mar-14 16:05:05

Not just you - my mum's onto week 4 with it, and I've had it lingering since then - again with the tiredness and sore throat hanging on... seem to have been chasing kids around with tissues for all eternity this winter as well.

MrsDavidBowie Sun 16-Mar-14 16:08:03

I've just finished week 3 of it......am now at the thick catarrh stage.Very draining.
I had 3 days of and v in the middle to add variety.

Hope ou feel better soon.

Le1890 Sun 16-Mar-14 16:16:35

Thanks

I don't think hayfever but obv don't know for sure.

I do think it's more illness tho. The gp I saw yesterday said that on average a mum with kids can have up to 12 cold viruses per year. He said that I've caught another virus and he thinks it's different to the one I had two weeks ago.

I also have an 11 month old and a 5 year old both of whom caught what I had and in particular I've been cleaning the baby's nose constantly and obv he wipes his wee nose all over me!! I am still breastfeeding too.

Just feel so run down. Sorry for moaning. I'm sitting here trying to motivate myself to go to my mums for tea. Dh is working.

Le1890 Sun 16-Mar-14 16:18:00

P.s mrs David Bowie that's how I felt last week. It was just the thick catarrh I had draining down throat and blowing though nose. But then it turned into this sad

PassTheCremeEggs Sun 16-Mar-14 16:19:21

I'm on week 3, and 4 month old DS is on week 6....

Sinuses totally blocked - pain in cheekbones and forehead that feel like I've been punched - bruised feeling. It's exhausting!

Me too, coming up to 3 weeks. I was right as rain one day, woke up with a really chesty cough the next, but not bringing anything up. By 24 hours later was feeling hot/cold, shivery, but no temperature, this lasted a few days then cleared but the cough remained. Then, after about 10 days it was as if I got another cold on top of the cough, slightly sore throat, sniffing (but not much coming out when I blow), mild headaches (not specific sinus pain, which I do get sometimes) and just feeling a bit run down. I'm still coughing but it's more tickly than chesty now, definitely starting to improve a bit more the last 24 hours or so.

When this all started 5 out of 10 of us where I work went down with it within a couple of days of each other, they have all got better faster than me though.

Le1890 Sun 16-Mar-14 16:25:47

Icant believe how many of us have this going on!

That said my own gp said the other week that they have run out of appointments 30 minutes after the phone lines open up and there are 7 doctors at my gp practise!

flow4 Sun 16-Mar-14 17:25:14

Me too. Week 3. sad What has been odd is that no two days have been the same... Each day has had its own unique combination of coughing, sore throat, headache, snot and other delightful symptoms. hmm

MrsDavidBowie Sun 16-Mar-14 17:31:48

Yes it's quite exciting waking up to see which symptom has developed overnight.

goodasitgets Sun 16-Mar-14 22:47:32

Me hmm
January brought tonsillitis. Twice
February brought a cold, that left me coughing. The cough hadn't cleared and now I've got this cold

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now