Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Heavy bleeding after sex any ideas

(17 Posts)
Blossomflowers Sat 15-Mar-14 11:55:49

Does anyone have experience of this. I have a new sexual partner but last 2 times I have an excessive bleeding, truely horrible. Of course I will be calling GP on Monday but have all weekend to worry about this. First time was without a problem, then I had contraception injection and thought might have been the cause but happened again last night. ( no bleeding in 2 weeks until after sex last night) I feel really embarrassed, not really very good to have this with someone new, any ideas what this could be.

RockinD Sat 15-Mar-14 12:06:54

It could be any number of things that are not in any way sinister, and easily fixable. Stay away from Dr Google and see a real doctor as soon as you can.

Oh and try not to worry. I had horrible bleeding after sex that was down to a cervical polyp. Remove that (5 min job) and no further problems.

Blossomflowers Sat 15-Mar-14 12:15:36

rockin ha already been on mr google and already thoght polyp sounds most likely. Are thr easily removed?

meditrina Sat 15-Mar-14 12:18:17

Cervical polyps are almost invariable benign, and painless to remove (no worse than smear test). Some GPs remove them, but usuall you'd be referred to gynae outpatients. They'll probably want to scan you, to check for any other possible causes. And if you haven't had a recent smear, they'll probably want to do that too.

Blossomflowers Sat 15-Mar-14 12:34:34

Thank Med Should I see GP or go straight to a smear, am overdue one. Bloody typical find a nic chap to enjoy sex with and then this, he was really sweet and concerned for me but I feel bloody awful. life can be cruel

tantrumtime Sat 15-Mar-14 12:54:06

This happened to me, was sent for a smear which made me bleed immediately. They diagnosed me with an ectropic cervix - one which is highly vascularised and bleeds on contact. It's a bit if a turn off isn't it!!!

Megbeth Sat 15-Mar-14 13:00:25

It could maybe be a cervical erosion but when I had it I didn't bleed alot. They can cauterise the area. If there was a lot of blood then it could be polyps. Best to get checked. They will probably do a smear test.

Blossomflowers Sat 15-Mar-14 13:03:11

I have no bleeding any other time, yes great big turn off, probably will not want to see me again sad just too much at this stage. I thought at first it might have been to he injection as it coincided with this and did not bleed the first time, tant did you get it removed with no complications

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 15-Mar-14 13:05:34

I get that. I've been to the GP, had smears, checked for erosion etc. but there's nothing there. I'm wondering if it's my Mirena.

tantrumtime Sat 15-Mar-14 13:13:34

No it was just the way I was, new partner must of been bigger then previous partners because it hasn't happened before. I bled a lot during pregnancy because of it too, quite common they said

Blossomflowers Sat 15-Mar-14 13:14:27

dione how long have you had that?

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 15-Mar-14 17:02:49

I have had it on and off for the two years I have been with my boyfriend. It has settled down somewhat since we started and I find that the it happens more often with positions that involve deeper penetration.

It was worrying and embarrassing at the start of our relationship, but since I got it checked out we are a lot more relaxed about it. It's just become another part of Damp Patch Management.

Blossomflowers Sat 15-Mar-14 17:23:19

dione well without going into too much, oh what the hell, Yes there was deep penetration and he is err quite a nice size. But even so that should not be normal, and yes soooo embarrasing, especially because he is a new partner, But did not happen the first time. I could handle just a bit but it was pretty dramtic enough we had to have 2 showers blush

Blossomflowers Sat 15-Mar-14 17:32:02

oh and ruined my lovely new sheets and duvet cover sad

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 16-Mar-14 23:16:37

Blossom, we're ok with it now, but in those early days it was sooo embarrassing.blush

I think that my being upfront about my lack of pain and what I was going to do about it (I went to the GP, he offered to come with me) helped to reduce the embarrassment. And really when it came down to it, we really liked eachother and wanted the relationship to continue. We did gentler sex for a while. Now we put towels down/carefully dismount or accept the extra laundry.

Perhaps if you talk about it and get it checked out you will both become more comfortable and it won't be a deal breaker.

Blossomflowers Mon 17-Mar-14 18:11:36

dinone Glad you got it sorted. Well I did not get to see GP but a nurse, she had a good look and could see nothing, took a couple of swabs eeek incase of an infection (from him) (should haveresults on Friday. I hope it is not that. Thinks the DEPO I had is causing me to have something like a period, but when sex just pushing on cervix becomes evident. I hope that is the answer.Waiting game now.

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 17-Mar-14 21:49:48

Well good luck with the tests Blossom and on your new relationship.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now