Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cerazette - I want a pill where I have lighter periods immediately not in 3 months!

(31 Posts)
Idotry Thu 13-Mar-14 10:02:16

I get heavy periods monthly with clots probably due to a thickened endometrium. The biopsy came back clear and then I had a mirena coil inserted. On it I bled constantly, became anemic with my hair falling out which hasn't fully recovered even after removal.
Since being contraceptive free for nine months I've decided to have one more bash on the pill. My GP has given me a prescription for Cerazette but after doing a search on mumsnet reading previous reviews it's starting to look like constant bleeding for the first few months is a common theme and there is just no way I can be doing this again as I'm on iron and barely fuctioning how it is.
Does anyone have any experiences with pills that more or less promote less bleeding from the get go? I'm just so fed up sad

Runwayqueen Thu 13-Mar-14 11:43:58

I'm on Yasmin, and can absolutely say my periods are much lighter for it. It's the only pill I've had that completely suits my needs. Although getting it prescribed was hard work as it's one of the more expensive pills

Idotry Thu 13-Mar-14 12:45:32

Doctors do seem reluctant to prescribe Yasmin, is cost the reason then? I always thought it was because of health implications.

ThefutureMrsTatum Thu 13-Mar-14 12:50:54

I have just decidedto stop taking cerazette for that exact reason. Have been on it for 7 weeks, and I have constantly bled heavily for 6 of those weeks. I'm also the angriest person ever! DH actually hides from me, so in that sens� it's an excellent contraception! Think I'll go back to my trusty copper coil!

I would ask the GP to refer you to a gynae to establish the exact cause of the heaviness of periods together with clots. It needs proper investigation rather than just a GP prescribing pills and thus only treating the symptoms. I suggest a referral because fibroids can often cause heavy bleeding to arise, they can also cause women to become anaemic.

The only pill that I never had any bleeding on was marvelon; cerezette caused bleeds occasionally.

Idotry Thu 13-Mar-14 13:02:02

So pissed of with my doctor. He knows the reason I had the mirena out was because of constant heavy bleeding and I'm trying the pill again to prevent more draining heavy bleeding.
My period is due in a couple of days so i'm meant to start the Cerazette then.. I've decided not to bother.

Idotry Thu 13-Mar-14 13:05:19

Attila, the heavy bleeding was due to a thickened endometrium. I got the all clear from the gynae after a colposcopy. Also had thyroid checked out. I'll look into Marvelon.

LadySnapcase Thu 13-Mar-14 13:12:12

Qlaira has made mine shorter and lighter, they may be reluctant to prescribe it though because of the cost and because hardly anyone has heard of it still...

specialsubject Thu 13-Mar-14 14:13:44

I am on Cerazette. Light bleeding for the first month, nothing at all since then (2 years).

other people's experiences with pills are no guide, good or bad, and should have no relevance on what you try. I'd say give it a go. If it doesn't work, no loss.

2kidsintow Thu 13-Mar-14 22:15:41

I'm on cerelle (progesterone only mini pill) and since I started taking it I've been free of periods. I was quite surprised, because when I was on the depo shot I had constant spotting.

trinity0097 Sat 15-Mar-14 16:30:28

I started taking cerazette about 8 years ago, from the day i took it no periods ever, no spotting or anything. It's not all bad news!

Casmama Sat 15-Mar-14 16:34:01

I agree with trinity- never any bleeding on cerazette and been on it for about 6 years. Wasn't great for my libido though.

TossedSaladsAndScrambledEggs Sat 15-Mar-14 16:35:14

I have not had a single period since I had my Mirena coil fitted in 2012..

TossedSaladsAndScrambledEggs Sat 15-Mar-14 16:36:13

Oops sorry just read about your Mirena experience.

TossedSaladsAndScrambledEggs Sat 15-Mar-14 16:38:49

Is there any reason why you can't take a combined pill and tricycle, ie. take 3 packs back to back? You will still get a period every 3 months but it is better than every month? I have endometriosis and I did this for many years before I had dd and had the Mirena fitted.

Corygal Sat 15-Mar-14 16:40:00

I bled so badly and non stop on Cerazette for three months I got anaemia. Had to buy endless new sheets and pants. Abandoned it, I really don't recommend it.

NurseyWursey Sat 15-Mar-14 16:41:54

There were talks of recalling Yasmin but it was decided the health risks weren't bad enough hmm

You're twice the chance of developing blood clots with Yasmin, Femodene and Marvelon, than with other pills.

This is why GP's don't like prescribing it, and have been given a checklist to go through with the patient before the can give it to anyone.

Anyone who's been on it for a while should go back to their GP and double check if it's okay for them and they aren't in the risk category.

rinabean Sat 15-Mar-14 19:13:52

I had awful periods and Cerazette stopped them dead. Like, half an hour of spotting a month, that's all, seriously. Magical. As far as I am aware it could only make your periods worse while you are on it and maybe shortly after, not long-term, so if it doesn't work then at least you know. It's honestly changed my life, I was in despair before I started it, I was bleeding (heavily) more often than I wasn't, absolute hell. It works for more women than it doesn't, obviously that means nothing if it happens to not work for you, but it was a miracle for me and I wish I'd tried it sooner. Good luck!

TheLightPassenger Sat 15-Mar-14 20:04:55

I have only ever had light irregular bleeding with cerazette from the get go, have had years with no bleeding at all (on it for over five years). I have no experience of your particular issue (thickened endometrium) but I agree with Rina that it's worth trying, even if its only briefly.

I didnt get any bleeding with cerazette for about 3 years (then I got the mirena)

Idotry Sat 15-Mar-14 20:24:23

Thankyou for the replies. I'm due on tomorrow and I've decided to have a bash on Cerazette. My normal periods as I said are seriously heavy with clots etc but they are also short so I'm worried about having prolonged bleeding for a longer duration then what I'm currently having.
Under normal circumstances I wouldn't be such a drama queen about a new medication but my periods have been so dibilitating to the point it takes me at least a week to recover after it's stopped, by that I mean fatigue where I can't stop sleeping, breathlessness and hair loss - eventually I start to feel better until the next cycle..tossedsalad no idea why I have been prescribed a progesterone only pill.

I take cerezette since having dd 8.5 years ago. No periods at all

Idotry Sat 15-Mar-14 20:43:58

Well after reading some more balanced reviews I'm feeling more optimistic.
My previous search on Cerazette seemed to show an endless queue of women almost bleeding to death [confused{

AHardDaysWrite Sat 15-Mar-14 20:46:06

If you can tolerate combined pills I'd get one of them prescribed and tri-cycle as outlined above. I did this for years with endometriosis.

TossedSaladsAndScrambledEggs Sun 16-Mar-14 07:09:10

I think you have been prescribed cerazette because usually progesterone only contraceptives (implant, mirena, pop, depot) in the majority cause very little or no bleeding at all. That has certainly been my experience with mirena. However as in some patients they may cause erratic bleeding and perhaps even increased as we've heard.

The combined pill seems to more reliably stop periods at least for the window during which they're taken (although can have breakthrough at first), but of course there are downsides as they is a small increased risk of clots etc. you also do need to have that break every now and then.

I would give the pop a go, at least a few weeks, in the first instance. Fwiw i have the mirena more for pain associated with endo rather than heavy bleeding. It stopped my periods immediately, but curiously i did still get a cyclical pain for around 6-12 months after it was fitted even though there was no blood! All that has completely settled now though. In an ideal world i'd rather not have it as my libido isn't great and i'm struggling to lose weight, but needs must and all that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now