Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Huntingtons disease

(13 Posts)
Sixpencenonethericher Wed 12-Mar-14 21:48:01

Hi , I have been diagnosed with this today and was wondering if anyone here had ? Xx

magimedi Wed 12-Mar-14 22:10:09

I can't help you but am replying to bump this in active convos for you.

flowers

I haven't but its a genetic hereditary condition, which would suggest others in your family have it too? How have you as a family managed it so far?

poubella Wed 12-Mar-14 22:13:59

Do you have symptoms or have you had a genetic test ?
I have worked with people with this condition.

Sixpencenonethericher Wed 12-Mar-14 22:17:21

I've known that it was coming I tested positive for the gene 16 years ago and I was tested every year but today was the first time any symptoms appeared
My mum and my grandad had it one of my mums brothers has it the other hasn't

Sixpencenonethericher Wed 12-Mar-14 22:20:06

I'm 44 and my symptoms are balance and co ordination and memory problems , fidgeting depression and I've fallen down most weeks in the last 6 months x

poubella Wed 12-Mar-14 22:24:53

Have you got support ?

Sixpencenonethericher Wed 12-Mar-14 22:48:49

Yeah all my family and friends have been kind also my dh and dd x

PJ67 Wed 12-Mar-14 23:25:45

Hi. I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis but it's great to hear that your family and friends are supportive. Which area are you from? There is support from the huntingtons disease association in England and the Scottish huntingtons association in scotland.

exhaustedmummymoo Fri 14-Mar-14 00:48:35

I don't have HD but do know about it, so sorry sixpence, and sending you a huge hug over the airwaves x

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 11:23:13

My neighbour had it, as did her dad and her son.

alem Sat 15-Mar-14 20:58:27

Hi. My mum has HD, and has symptoms. One sibling has tested positive, but no symptoms as yet. I am negative. My other sibling is soon to be tested.
We are all similar ages to you.
How are you feeling?

Sixpencenonethericher Sun 16-Mar-14 15:28:59

Hello sorry for you being in the same boat lovely your negative but your worry for your sibling is still there
I'm all over the shop and my husband bless him has head firmly in the
I've been trying to explain to him how my brain isn't taking in things anymore but it's hard xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now