Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Normal pain or the dreaded dry socket?

(5 Posts)
olivo Sun 09-Mar-14 08:10:04

Had all 4 wisdom teeth out on Tuesday under GA, so far so good, not really much pain except waking each morning with a stinging feeling in my jaw on the right. Once I am up and about and have taken my paracetamol and ibuprofen, it is ok, aware it is there but by no means agony.I am also on amoxicillin. Can't see in to see if clot there etc, have been following instructions re gentle brushing, mouthwash,etc. all I can see is that the stitches on that side are unravelled a bit.it was the deepest one to be dug out, slightly into my cheek.

Wait and see or go to dentist first thing tomorrow? Mean to be going back to work.

callamia Sun 09-Mar-14 08:13:34

Dry socket was hideous - worse than the initial pain that led to the tooth coming out. Can you see how you get I today and make an emergency appointment tomorrow if it gets worse? Dry socket will make you incapable of work anyway... I'm wincing at the memory.

olivo Sun 09-Mar-14 08:20:31

That's what I was thinking Callamia. The pain with the infections was horrendous,it is nothing like that. I wondered if it is because I often lie on that side at night, i only really feel it in the mornings ( so have had no pain relief for over 8hrs) or if I have talked a lot. Wondered if it was pulling on the stitches. Have read about trying to brush them away but too scared, only just started brushing the teeth closest, was originally just doing the front ones and premolars and relying on mouthwash to get anything else away.

Thymeout Sun 09-Mar-14 08:44:41

No - most unlikely to be dry socket. For a start the clot would be surely be under your stitches. But, mainly, it really is extremely painful. You'd have been waking up during the night with it, not sleeping for 8 hours!

Also, dry socket is comparatively rare. Can't remember the statistic, but something under 5%?

olivo Sun 09-Mar-14 08:58:54

Thanks. I think the stats for surgical removal of impacted lower wisdoms is about 30%, hence my panic! The other clots seem to be over the stitches but I can't see this site, it's quite into my cheek. You're right though, the pain is nowhere near enough to wake me up.

Have read too many horror stories....grin

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now