Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Am so very sick of being so up & down.

(2 Posts)
TrueWorrier Sat 08-Mar-14 15:10:24

After very stressful year last year, I recognised the danger signs of anxiety/mild depression (suffered from it 10 years ago) and went to see my GP.

I was put on sertraline (which I took for just under a month), which really messed badly with my head, and I felt much, much worse. Was having to take pbeta blockers to deal with phsycail symptoms. At one point I felt suicidal. GP told me to stop it immediately and put me onto amitriptyline which took 3-4 days (had to take a few diazepam to help me through) to really kick in, but after that I felt really good. Didn't even need the beta blockers.

That really good feeling lasted for nearly 4 weeks, Then I had a stressful weekend, and 'bang' I felt back to square one sad The old anxiety was back, the dread was back. Was waking too early.

Put it down to mixture of bad PMS and that stressful weekend. But felt so bad Wednesday I had to take 10mg of diazepam, and that night, took 40mg of amitriptyline (rather than my usual 30mg). Woke up Thursday feeling much better again, almost dreamy smile

Really thought it had all been caused by PMS. But, yesterday it all went horrible again, the old feelings of dread and anxiety. Could barely bring myself to talk.

Today has been no better. Resorted to taking 5mg of diazepam at lunch, which always works really well. But I certainly don't want to be taking it most days.

I just don't understand what is going on? How can an anti-depressant work so well for nearly 4 weeks, and then 'bang' it seems to stop working? I just don't know how I'm going to feel from one day to the next sad

I just don't know what to do? Anyone else been through something similar, or has any good advice. I'm at the end of my tether with this.

hiddenhome Sat 08-Mar-14 20:07:05

Ask to have this moved to Mental Health and you might get some advice from the people over there smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now