Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Time of the Month

(3 Posts)
iggy155 Fri 07-Mar-14 13:20:12

Hi, hope someone can give me some advice as tbh I am at the end of my rope! I suffer from what I presume is PMT for around 5-6 days before my period every month. My periods are regular and as soon as I come on my mood is back to normal. I am 33 and a mum of 2 and I am finding coping with the PMT really hard. I can barely hold my emotions together on these days and its hard hiding my emotions from my DD's. They are only little so its not like I can explain why mummy is teary/snappy/moody (delete as applicable). I do not use any contraception so its not that interfering. I did take the pill but it didn't agree with me (that story is a who new thread!). I take evening primrose oil but am not sure if I am taking enough. Please help! Any advice on managing this monthly curse will be greatly appreciated!

Rooble Fri 07-Mar-14 13:30:44

I had very similar when I was a similar age. I was told it was hormonal changes at the start of the perimenopause (!! This freaked me out, but am now 44 and have not gone through menopause, so don't panic!). I went on the pill and it really evened my moods out. There are several different sorts, so I wouldn't let the fact that one has disagreed with you put you off altogether.
I didn't have DCs at the time, but my boss asked me what he'd done wrong as I was so angry with him half the time blush.
I can't take evening primrose as I have epilepsy and it triggers seizures, but really vigorous exercise (spin, boxing - a good cardio workout) makes a massive difference too.

iggy155 Fri 07-Mar-14 13:43:04

Thanks Rooble. Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and see the Dr. Crazy if something is wrong with my family I am on there case to see a Dr but with me I drag my heels!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now