Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dentist help

(5 Posts)
christmashope Thu 06-Mar-14 16:35:30

Ok so will try to keep this short
Tooth had root canal
Same tooth then got a crown
Tooth sore so I got a bridge
Tooth is worse now I can't eat on that side of my mouth anymore and dentist is now talking about more root canal, I think in the tooth next to the bridge but he can't guarantee that this will stop the pain other option is making a bigger bridge?
I'm a bit confused I just know that I cannot keep spending money on this and it not getting fixed..
Anyone got any views or can help me please
Thank you

christmashope Fri 07-Mar-14 13:26:46

Anyone?

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 07-Mar-14 13:27:58

Try another dentist?

2kidsintow Thu 13-Mar-14 22:26:42

Can you pinpoint the pain to that tooth?
Does the pain respond to painkillers?

Teeth with root canals should not be sore.

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2577935/The-agonising-toothache-thats-got-teeth-Alison-months-gruelling-needless-root-canal-treatment.html

bonzo77 Thu 13-Mar-14 22:40:36

Dentist here. I'm afraid your post doesn't make 100% sense to me, which suggests that your dentist has not really communicated what is going on to you very well.

Neither bridge work nor crowns are usually cures for tooth ache, and bridges are to replace missing teeth, not to cure tooth ache.

Oh, and it is 100% possible to get pain from a root filled tooth. I agree that in an ideal world, and the intention always is for, there never to be any pain again from that tooth. Life ain't like that I'm afraid. If the treatment was inadequate, or the anatomy unusual, or a crack was present, or the seal on the filling / crown on top was poor you can definitely get pain from the tooth.

And that assumes that the pain you had was a pain that can be sorted by root canal treatment. Some need something else, some are misdiagnosed entirely, and are from a different tooth, or from the gum, or jaw, or neuralgia, or angina.

Second opinion time....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now