Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mouth Ulcers, again

(17 Posts)
KatyMac Wed 05-Mar-14 12:32:48

I've been on steroids & anti-histamines for 3 days & they are getting worse

Do I see the GP? Or put up with them? Or cry?

It sounds so innocuous doesn't it a 'mouth ulcer' but they are all over my throat, a large one on my tongue & my cheek and my salivary glands/ducts are all swollen and sore, as is my jaw & my neck

kazzawazzawoo Wed 05-Mar-14 19:08:06

My show used to have HUGE mouth ulcers all over. They have completely cleared up once he changed his diet. He has cut out all sugar and eats low carb, so no potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, cakes, biscuits etc. Sounds drastic, but for him it was worth it. If he sticks to this diet he has no mouth ulcers, if he lets it slip they come back.

kazzawazzawoo Wed 05-Mar-14 19:08:39

Sorry, that should read "my dh", not "my show"!!!

KatyMac Wed 05-Mar-14 19:34:15

I'm on no dairy, egg, pulses, onions, garlic, coconut, almonds & loads of veg.......there isn't a lot left

Muppetsbitch Wed 05-Mar-14 19:42:52

I get mouth ulcers in the days leading up to my period, every month without fail. Could it be a hormonal thing in your case? Have you noticed a pattern?

That said I can offer no solution. They are horrible and nothing is vey effective re easing the symptoms. I have two on my tongue now, I can't say my d, l or t s.

How someone has some useful info.

kazzawazzawoo Wed 05-Mar-14 20:03:40

Depends how much you want rid of them ... Dh couldn't stand anymore, he was in so much pain.

Maybe the things you've cut out aren't causing the problem. Can I ask why you cut them out?

KatyMac Wed 05-Mar-14 20:06:13

I have terrible IBS - The NHS dietician has been doing FODMAP with me & they were all clear triggers sad

I think I'd be left with meat & carrots

kazzawazzawoo Wed 05-Mar-14 20:43:23

How about other veg? Dh eats lots of eggs, fish, meat, veg.

I suffer with IBS too and have had to cut milk, yoghurt, onions in excess, most green veg like cabbage and broccoli out of my diet, but still eat well. Obviously it's up to you, but for me it would've worth a try.

KatyMac Wed 05-Mar-14 21:01:44

Carrots & root veg (not too much beetroot) no green (cabbage, leeks, peas only really green beans)

Not sure mouth ulcers vs bad IBS is a fair/good swop

Meat, fish & root veg but not potatoes

yegodsandlittlefishes Wed 05-Mar-14 21:03:18

Lack of vitamin Bs?

KippyVonKipperson Wed 05-Mar-14 21:04:35

Lack of vitamin B?

Too much cinnamon?

.... Sorry, clutching at straws but you never know....

KatyMac Thu 06-Mar-14 09:08:50

I dunno - I guess it's when I'm really run down with the IBS

Never (knowingly) have cinnamon

Morepeasplease Thu 06-Mar-14 10:24:27

Try SLS (sodium laury sulphate) free toothpaste. SLS is a foaming agent which makes toothpaste bubbly in your mouth but has no beneficial effects, in fact it strips protective mucous layer from gums and tongue. Some people are sensitive to it. You will probably have to get it from a health food shop. May help your mouth clear up a bit quicker.

gobbin Fri 07-Mar-14 19:12:06

Are you SURE it's IBS? I only ask because i used to have terrible mouth ulcers and I have Crohns. The two can often go together. They went with ongoing Crohns treatment

KatyMac Fri 07-Mar-14 19:35:25

Nope but I've had 2 colonoscopys and biopsies for coeliac which have all been clear

But I am grasping at straws

the steroids don't seem to be working this time & they are the treatment for crohns aren't they?

itsmeitscathy Sat 08-Mar-14 19:48:39

Ouch ouch ouch, I get a lot of them when I'm run down and they HURT. Difflam is good for them, pretty sure you get it over the counter as a mouth wash, worth a go? It's bright green and bogging.

Is it possible some of it is oral thrush in your throat caused by the steroids? Get your gp to have a look, it can be a bit sore.

KatyMac Sat 08-Mar-14 20:17:52

Double dose anti-histamines seem to be improving them

I wish I knew what I was allergic too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now