Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Norothisterone work on first day of period?

(11 Posts)
frankie4 Tue 04-Mar-14 19:38:25

I want to delay my very heavy period for a week due to a weekend away, so I got a prescription for Norothisterone from the doctor, who told me to start taking it 3 days before my period is due.

However, my period has started today, which is a whole week early! This month I have therefore had a 3 week cycle! I therefore have started my course of Norothisterone today, but will my period decrease or stop, or is it too late now to delay it? (It is v light today tmi)

50shadesofpink Tue 04-Mar-14 19:50:09

I have used it first day of (unexpected) period and it has stopped it. 3 a day I had to take.

frankie4 Tue 04-Mar-14 22:52:56

Thanks. That's good to hear! I have taken 3 today, and I hope it will work...

frankie4 Wed 05-Mar-14 08:09:01

Woke up this morning and it has not worked! I'm devastated, it's now going to ruin my weekend!

struggling100 Wed 05-Mar-14 10:18:38

You poor thing! I was given Norethisterone to dry to delay a heavy period while I was on holiday. I also bled right through it. I think some of us gals have flows so heavy they are unstoppable! confused

50shadesofpink Wed 05-Mar-14 13:23:36

Sorry to hear it hasn't worked for you OP.

frankie4 Wed 05-Mar-14 22:44:55

Ok, an update... My period hasn't really started properly, just vv light, so I will carry on with the tablets and keep hoping. BUT I have turned into a vile woman and bad mum in a terrible mood and saying horrible things to my children :-(
Can the tablets make me like this, or is it just bad PMT?

struggling100 Thu 06-Mar-14 08:36:56

I certainly notice a difference with the tablets! Definitely more grumpy.

I had to stop taking them - I turned into an abosolute monster. I was given them to stop a continuous period (think 3 months.....) but it was horrendous. I was then changed to Tranxemic acid which is not hormone based which worked well. That wouldn't help in your situation this time, but may be worth remembering for the future.

frankie4 Thu 06-Mar-14 21:19:20

I desperately need to delay my period. Frosty - I do already take tranexamic acid which make my period a bit lighter. I am currently on my bed shaking, as I have lost my temper with both my ds and dh. I feel awful. But I have to take these tablets. It is awful. I hate it.

Oh that is crap Frankie - do make sure you explain to DH that it's the pills making you cross, not "you". Hopefully things will level out a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now