Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Posterior repair - part one

(6 Posts)
Edgie Sun 02-Mar-14 20:37:41

I am an active 69 yr old and had a part posterior repair eight weeks ago. The 2nd part to be completed in August/sept after the part graft has thickened & become strong enough to cover remaining area.. I have abided by the do's & dont's, however, how should I be feeling now???
I had a week away in the sun & walked comfortably but have the following symptoms, so what do I do go to see my GP, make an appointment to see consultantI am an active 69 yr old and had a part posterier repair eight weeks ago. The 2nd part to be completed in August/sept after the part graft has thickened & become strong enough to cover remaining area.. I have abided by the do's & dont's, however, how should I be feeling now???
I had a week away in the sun & walked comfortably but have the following symptoms, so what do I do go to see my GP, make an appointment to see consultant or bide my time & hope things will improve
Of course I'm worried so who do I speak to?
1) lower back & leg ache like constant toothache
2) abdomen distends, at will, & is uncomfortable
3) waterworks is often a trickle & not a normal flow as you would expect. Bowel movement ok
4) rarely hungry & eating is not good, weight loss none.. Stomach often feels churning & unsettled
5) shortness of breath??? Is that connected??
6) on times the bulge returns, I live in hope that the final operation will stop this
My checkup is in 6wks & then the wait for 2nd operation
Is this all normal & has anyone else gone through the experienced of two operations for the one problem??

Hi Edgie,

I had a single posterior repair about 18 months ago. I wasn't fully back to strength at 8 weeks (still tired, a bit uncomfortable when sitting etc). I think a lot depends on what your symptoms were like before surgery and whether you have any other conditions, I would certainly write that lot down and go and have a talk with your GP. Have you had a follow up with the surgeon who did your op? If not, I would also probably give the consultant's secretary a ring and ask for one.

If you come and have a look at this thread Any Old Prolpase it is full of women who have had prolapses and repairs, you don't need to read the whole thing, just go onto the thread and post what you have said here, hopefully a few more people will be able to help you.

Edgie Sun 02-Mar-14 22:22:19

Thank you so much for your advice & support. I suppose deep down I knew that I have to go seek help and your reply has given me that push. I'm all for, it will go away if I bury my head deep enough..
I do have a follow up with consultant in about 6wks, but don't think I can put these problems off for that long.
Thank you again and I will also have a scan through other related post as you suggest

What I would say, from my own experience, the swelling internally was still quite noticeable at 8 weeks (I had my check up then and was concerned). Another month or so later and it had reduced considerably and was much comfier. Do you have any anterior prolapse (cystocele, urethrocele)? It seems many of us have those as well as rectocele, unfortunately when a rectocel is repaired it can sometimes remove the support it was giving to the front wall and cause problems to develop with the bladder and urethra.

Good luck, it is horrible to have to deal with all this and so difficult to talk to people in real life.

Edgie Mon 03-Mar-14 20:32:14

Thank you, how close to the truth you are, cannot even discuss with my family without getting emotional, hence my call for advice.. I had a prolapse repair two years ago and thought it was the same problem, but it transpired it was a posterior repair that was needed. I don't understand why it has to taken two identical procedures to achieve this.. I can't tell you how absolutely terrified I am at the thought of going through this all again

Edgie Sun 09-Mar-14 10:38:03

Happy to report that getting back into swim of things , basically was at least 9wks before this happened..
The surgeon or my GP didn't have the courtesy to reply, although I could have telephoned, but being stubborn kept saying to myself, I'll give it a few more days..
I'm still far from right but my message is be patient (which I wasn't) and hang in there..
Friday swept & tidied the garage & needed to rest big time, Yesterday I was hoeing, weeding & rested all afternoon, today my lawn to cut & attempt some jet washing, the latter so therapeutic ☺️ Probably a forced rest will be necessary, doesn't the sunshine make a difference to your mental attitude.
My only dread now is the 2nd identical operation to complete procedure in Sept.. I still don't understand why it had to be done in two ops
I wish all those due to have these procedures to heed advice and no matter how bored you are, rest is essential ������

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now