Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

First appointment with colorectal consultant today - what should I expect?

(21 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Thu 27-Feb-14 10:50:38

Dr referred me and I've got my first appointment later on this afternoon.
I'm very nervous, but wondered if anyone else could shine a light on what is likely to happen.
I'm guessing chat, examination, chat again.
Glad to be doing something to deal with the daily pain,but as I say, not looking forward to the process!
Thanks

princessalbert Thu 27-Feb-14 11:30:12

I didn't see a consultant at all. I was examined by a Senior Nurse of that department. Had a chat, and explained what was wrong - she had a look and put me on the list for surgery.

I suppose it depends what you are going in for.

sheeplikessleep Thu 27-Feb-14 11:40:28

Actually I just checked on the letter and it isn't a consultant. My appointment is with a 'mr Smith' not 'dr smith' (name isn't smith, but just to illustrate). So guess could be a senior nurse.

I've got piles I think, lots of pain every day for the last 8 months that I just can't get on top of. But also need to strain on the toilet. Heavy feeling in bum. Could be a fissure. But I'm crying in pain every day. Bit worried the need to strain could be a rectocele (I'm not constipated). Frequent loose stools. Even passing wind is hurting too.

I really hope the waiting list for treatment isn't massively long. I'm being such a crap mum at the moment.

Thanks for posting up.

princessalbert Thu 27-Feb-14 11:50:28

AFAIK a Mr does mean a consultant. But I could be wrong.

Sound like my symptoms.

I def had a fissure though - like passing broken glass out of my bum. Very intense pain, lots of blood.

Piles too.

The waiting list where I went was pretty short- I was on the list for surgery within a few weeks.

If you feel nervous, write down your symptoms and worries and take it in with you. Then you won't forget anything.

Good luck.

gobbin Thu 27-Feb-14 11:54:15

Mr usually means a consultant surgeon. Think positively - whatever happens today and in the near future is a step towards getting your bum back in order! Good luck today.

sheeplikessleep Thu 27-Feb-14 11:54:56

I'm taking DH with me too. But I have written down what I want to say too.
I've got a6 month old DS who I bf, so I'm really hoping any procedure won't mean I have to stop. But I've kind of got to the place where I'll do anything to get back to normal.
Thanks for posting up. Bum problems is such a lonely place isn't it. Hope your surgery worked long term?

sheeplikessleep Thu 27-Feb-14 11:57:00

Princess - before you were treated, did you find your pain lasted all day? Mornings are worst for me and then at around half 3, the heaviness and pain goes (until I wake up the following day and need to go again).

sheeplikessleep Thu 27-Feb-14 11:59:09

Thanks Bobbin. I am pleased I've got the apptmt and the start of getting sorted. Just feel a bit daunted by the process. The thought of someone poking around such a painful area makes me wince!!

princessalbert Thu 27-Feb-14 12:04:43

Yes, OP. At it's worst, I would have to go and lie down for a while, with painkillers. I would wake up at night in pain if I 'went' on an evening. The pain actually woke me. I likened it to an evil goblin, wearing pointed shoes, kicking me up the arse.

However the fissure did heal on its own. It can be done - but I really had to make the effort to increase my fruit and water - to keep BM really soft and easy to pass. Also I had to lay off the codeine based painkillers as they work, but cause constipation.

I did have to have a sigmoidoscopy prior to surgery - just to ensure that the bleeding was nothing more sinister. That was a first for me - but ultimately was not that bad really. quite interesting actually !

My surgery was to remove anal skin tags. (leftover piles). that was quite painful recovery, but worth it. However they didn't remove all of them so I am back on the list for it finishing off.

You will be fine - it's good that you are in the process now - and just take it step by step.

sheeplikessleep Thu 27-Feb-14 12:11:51

Thanks princess, that's reassuring.
Sounds really similar. I've got to the point where I'm doubtful I will ever go normally again. I'm losing weight, because I'm so paranoid to eat.
The pain is intense. I am physically shaking after I go, jump straight in the shower for some heat and the temporary relief is immense. Though as soon as I jump out, it is sharp strong pain again, which gradually goes over the day.
Thanks so much for posting, it's appreciated.

sheeplikessleep Thu 27-Feb-14 12:13:47

I'm drinking a lot and even drinking a glass of prune juice on an evening!

Tupperwife Thu 27-Feb-14 12:19:09

Surgeons are known as Mr, and there are quite a few nurses with PhDs who are known as Doctor. We also have nurses in civvies, Doctors in scrubs.... All of ours are quite alright with you asking who they are if it isn't clear.

sheeplikessleep Thu 27-Feb-14 12:23:36

I don't really care tbh, as long as he or she can assess what the problem is and get me on the path to getting it sorted grin

sheeplikessleep Thu 27-Feb-14 19:02:09

It's a fissure. Been prescribed diltiazem hydrochloride cream and if that doesn't work, Botox! Feel so relieved, fingers crossed the cream and a healthy diet clears it quickly,

princessalbert Thu 27-Feb-14 22:20:18

At least now you know what you are dealing with.

Fruit galore and water. Not too much booze and coffee. Avoid codeine based painkillers.

Hopefully you'll get it sorted within a few weeks.

sheeplikessleep Fri 28-Feb-14 08:15:57

Thanks princess.
I'm drinking pints and pints of water and lots of fruit and avoiding processed foods.
Even just knowing helps me feel more in control.
The dr said that it won't be instant (the cream), but I've got a follow up apptmt in 6 weeks to see if its worked. He said it works in about 2/3 of cases.
Fingers crossed.
Thanks again for your posts.

sheeplikessleep Fri 28-Feb-14 08:18:27

I spent yesterday evening checking the cream was definitely compatible with b'feeding.
The dr phoned up some telephone line to get confirmation and I phoned
Up breastfeeding network last night, who said on paper it should be fine (although as with all see things, can never guarantee as not tested as such, but the pharmacist didn't have any concerns about it).

50ShadesofGreyMatter Sat 01-Mar-14 05:36:34

You might want to look into the botox, I have heard it can cause incontinence issues.

sheeplikessleep Sat 01-Mar-14 08:51:34

50shades, I've read that too. I'm really hoping the cream is enough by itself, alongside the diet.
I'm guessing that as Botox isn't permanent, the incontinence wouldn't be either. Though I am keeping everything crossed the cream is enough.
After 2 days of using it, though the act itself is as painful, the times in between aren't excruciating now.

princessalbert Sat 01-Mar-14 16:21:21

Persevere with cream op. As i said earlier diet is key, even a few days of easy bowel movements gives the fissure chance to heal.

was going to be having the obtox if mine hadnt resolved, and read up on it.

If the pains are decreasing it sounds like things may. Getting better.

Good luck.

sheeplikessleep Sat 01-Mar-14 20:36:53

Thanks princess.
I've eaten porridge for breakfast, mackerel salad for lunch and veggie fish pie and kale for tea! About 2 plums and an apple. Litres of water and about to have my nightly prune juice (yuk!) and magnesium.
DH and the kids had homemade pizza followed by pancakes for their tea. Took some discipline! Desperate for cake, but doing okay.
I wonder if it will take quite a while to clear. The fissure is up to 9 months 'old'.
Supposed to be going out tonight for dhs birthday tomorrow, but we've delayed until I can eat something without worrying about it. I've made a cake for him tomorrow that I will have to say no to. All a bit depressing really! But hopefully it will all help.
I'm also trying to stock in foods that help healing (trying to eat more protein, as well as vitamin c fruits ... lots of kiwis and berries etc)
Thanks for all of the info princess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now