Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ant one know anything about Statins?

(17 Posts)
Mrsdavidcaruso Tue 18-Feb-14 12:00:23

My Dad is 64 and in very good health at age 60 he was put on Statins a couple of months later he started having difficulty walking and had to use a stick for someone who lives in a semi rural area of Ryde with only an hourly bus service it was causing him problems as he used to be able to walk into town with no problems. On Sunday there are no buses so he and my Mum couldnt go anywhere at all unless someone gave them a lift

After having tests and being told it was just his age I did some digging
and found out one of the side effects of his Statins was Muscle aches, tenderness, or weakness (myalgia) so he decided to come of them and within 2 months was able to walk again.

Last year he went back to the GP and was given different Statins and told these didnt have the same side effects however again within a month he was back to the stick unable to walk and now with back pains so he came of them again.

Three months on he has only just been able to walk and has decided never to take them again.

Obviously we are worried about his Cholesterol but he is watching his weight and what he eats.

Does anyone have any experience of Statins and perhaps know of one that does not have these serious side effects.

Mrsdavidcaruso Tue 18-Feb-14 12:02:46

Sorry should have said neither he or Mum drive so its either the bus or walk

My husband is on statins after a heart op, and has dreadful problems dealing with side effects - he's tried 3 or 4 different regular statins, as well as other meds which have the same effect. It is a long slog working your way through the different brands available. Unfortunately high cholesterol is difficult to control through diet alone.

RockinD Tue 18-Feb-14 12:13:25

My husband had the same problem when he was put on statins after a stroke and now he refuses to take them. The GP was very unhappy and said he would die without them, but DH is slim and very physically fit for his age and his cholesterol, even without statins, is lower than mine!

Your Dad might need to know exactly how high his cholesterol is. DH was put on them as a knee jerk reaction after a TIA, even though he may not have needed them. You might also want to consider that cholesterol naturally rises with age and yet the figures they ask us to aspire to relate to a healthy person of 25 or so.

If your Dad is basically OK, but just growing older, he will probably have a better quality of life in the long run if he just keeps off as many prescribed drugs as possible.

Mrsdavidcaruso Tue 18-Feb-14 13:15:02

Rockin I agree I am going to ask him if he had a blood test last year to see how high his cholesterol actually is or they just put him on it due to his age, research now seems to say that people should be put on Statins from age 50 even though they may not have any problems.

Its so good to see him walking again without any problems

Footle Tue 18-Feb-14 14:28:07

I've found that Pravastatin causes me the least muscle pain, but still gives me nearly unbearable sleep disturbance - very vivid dreams. I take the tablet in the morning, not at night as advised, which helps a bit. I feel slightly stoned all the time while taking them. I have well-controlled ( no drugs ) type 2 diabetes and I don't like the fact that statins increase the risk of developing it : seems to me they may make it harder to control if you already have it. There is evidence that postmenopausal women live longer if their cholesterol is higher than the recommended level.

I've recently gone back to taking the stuff because my total cholesterol doesn't stay within reasonable levels - I'd be very happy with a reading around 5 - though my BP is low to normal and there's no heart disease in my family.

I don't know how long I'll stay on them this time. It's hard to see how being unable to exercise is going to benefit your father. Your heart is a muscle too ...

larrygrylls Tue 18-Feb-14 18:05:21

Read 'bad pharna' re statins. They interfere with a lot of important pathways and the benefits are equivocal. I have heard lots of bad things about them, both anecdotal and statistical.

Mrsdavidcaruso Tue 18-Feb-14 18:09:37

Thanks larry so have I especially this
www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2194892/All-50s-statins-regardless-health-history-says-Oxford-professor.html

and this

But current guidelines on their use - and misguided safety fears about muscle pain and memory loss - are restricting the range of people who can take them, he said.

I would like to see that man try and walk up and down hills on sticks just to get to work or take his wife to the beach

Yddraigoldragon Tue 18-Feb-14 18:17:37

As another option try reading the Great Cholesterol Con by M Kendrick... It might make you wonder why he is on them at all.

It is an eye opener.

Footle Tue 18-Feb-14 18:23:23

Exactly. My eyes are wide open .. I used to think I was undecided but now I'm not so sure. Perhaps I'll read it again and come off them again.
Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack.

intheround Tue 18-Feb-14 18:23:39

I also have read "The Great Cholesterol Con" .
Statins will not prolong your life- you will just die of something else instead- likely liver related. The only time they are truly of use is rare cases of hereditary severely high cholesterol.
Statins made my dad really ill- they started to break down his muscles.
Also its not the overall cholesterol level which is important, it's the ratio of LDL to HDL. These levels cannot be interpreted correctly without also testing Triglycerides.
Giving up sugar (and cutting down on saturated fat) and increasing fibre is likely to be as effective at helping to bring down levels.

intheround Tue 18-Feb-14 18:26:56

The other thing is that cholesterol has a protective effect on the brain.

Footle Tue 18-Feb-14 22:37:12

The whole body wouldn't function if it couldn't produce cholesterol.

Ellebelle4444 Tue 18-Feb-14 22:42:13

My mum is on statins as other methods she tried in the past just didn't work. However she has also been experiencing the same side effects as your dad. Also, she has actually gained quite a bit of weight since. Now she is on a strict diet and is close to giving up completelyhmm

PJ67 Tue 18-Feb-14 23:01:39

Hi. My DHA went to see a consultant due to very high cholesterol. He was put on astatine but the doctor told him to take coenzyme q 10 if he got muscle pain. What dose was he on? May be worth halving the dose to see if this has less side effects and some effect on cholesterol.

Mrsdavidcaruso Wed 19-Feb-14 00:06:59

PJ I will find out thanks

philomenascat Wed 19-Feb-14 00:16:23

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now