Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

**Tamoxigang heading towards hearts and valentines - thread 47**

(991 Posts)
BetsyBoop Fri 07-Feb-14 10:40:26

roses are red
violets are blue
sugar is sweet
but cakes are better

<loads up the trolley>

mildmay Fri 21-Mar-14 20:29:22

Updating i had not heard about injetions till today ,but had not really read much about chemo til post op .Will mention to onc that in Belgium Emend is standard,that will not please him .

BetsyBoop Fri 21-Mar-14 20:26:26

>>I wonder why nobody wants us to have Emend
because it's quite expensive!

<whistles> we've moved to new thread mildmay <oi over here!>

mildmay Fri 21-Mar-14 20:23:27

Honey think i will be starting at the same time .I wonder why nobody wants us to have Emend.

mildmay Fri 21-Mar-14 20:20:33

Feline thanks for the info on anti sickness drugs.Good to hear it has started ok for you.
Wren i can understand why you would not want to ask it must be hard with your children at home ,my boys both at uni so they are more removed from it.
Kitkat will ask Amber but will look back first as i remember she did answer some questions for me when i had pathology report.
Hope everyone has a good weekend

BetsyBoop Fri 21-Mar-14 20:06:45

aargh extra space by mistake...

try here

BetsyBoop Fri 21-Mar-14 20:06:06

Ok new thread [[ http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2032328--Tamoxigang-counting-down-to-Easter-eggs-thread-48 here]]

Updatingmywill Fri 21-Mar-14 19:37:51

Hi Mildmay, I'm also doing 6 courses of FEC-T. I'm half way through the second cycle and not doing too badly with regards side effects. I'm still working full time. Although the nurse seemed to think that as I'm not feeling too bad on FEC, then I might feel really bad on Tax. Lovely - something to look forward to then. Not.

I've been reading the last few posts with interest. I'm in Belgium, btw. On the one hand, I was given Emend without question or debate (or even realising that the NHS was reluctant to give it out). However, nobody has ever mentioned injections or Nulasta.

Honeybear9 Fri 21-Mar-14 19:33:28

Mild I'm starting 6 sessions of FEC-T too but not for 3 wks - I have Chrons disease & can't take meds with chemo so have had to stop all meds today - my onc said no to Emend aswell. Feline you seem to be doing really well have been reading your posts - not knowing what to expect with chemo is so hard.....

kitkat1967 Fri 21-Mar-14 19:12:23

Mildmay - if you really want to your odds of something returning post your diagnosis and Amber will be able to tell you - she has all the up to date information -I doubt it is anywhere near as bad as you suspect.
My onc never told me anything like that either - as a general rule I don't think they do - but when I had to make a decision about continuing my chemo he told me the % improvement over not having it.

Wren48 Fri 21-Mar-14 19:01:57

Mildmay, my hospital will only give emend if you're badly off first time round - I was also ignored when I asked. I then got it for round 2. I'm now half way through FEC-T. I don't want to know the figures about cancer returning; it meant when asked by my eldest that I could truthfully say that I didn't know. I also really don't think your oncologist's reluctance to tell you has any special significance; I just think they do like to manage how these communications work. In my experience communication skills are not the strong point of oncologists.

foofooyeah Fri 21-Mar-14 18:49:54

Yes can an adult start a new thread please, I am unable to do the linky thing!!

Lilymaid Fri 21-Mar-14 18:46:05

Just got back from work to find a letter inviting me for breast screening (yes I am that old). So I shall have to phone up the Breast Unit to explain that I am currently having treatment for breast cancer!
I had a mammogram 3 years ago ... It didn't find anything. This time round the letter comes with a booklet called NHS Breast Screening You Decide which deals with the problem of deciding whether to have screening when it might bring a positive result but result in unnecessary treatment.
PS we need a new thread ... Can anyone think of a good title (something to do with Hot Cross Buns would be apposite)?

FelineSad Fri 21-Mar-14 18:25:52

mild I have just started 6 courses of FEC-T. 1st one was on Monday. Actual procedure wasn't as bad as expected. Felt fine for first couple of days but now feeling exhausted and fluey (sp???). It could be worse and if I could just go to bed and have someone bring me food and drink at regular intervals it wouldn't be too bad!!! Unfortunately that's not an option being a single parent with two boys but I'm trying to keep things as normal as I can for them.

I was given anti sickness drugs intravenously and then a course for two days afterwards plus some follow up tablets if needed. Ondansetron and Dexamethasone were the initial ones. Decision seemd to be based on the fact I didn't have really bad morning sickness when pregnant and it's been ok apart from the wobble this morning

My onc didn't tell me figures about cancer returning (didn't ask to be fair) just how my chances of surviving 10 years (!!!) would be increased by various treatments.

mildmay Fri 21-Mar-14 17:33:44

Happy friday all, have been keeping up with all the news ,not alot has been going on with me if im honest im feeling abit isolated and find it hard to tell anybody anything ,so keeping up with you all has really helped.Met with oncologist today am having FEC -T.6 sessions lasting about four months ,is anybody about to start this.i will look back to see what advice i can.i asked for Emend but onc seemed to ignore this request .also asked about figures for cancer returning he replied he did not want to tell me all this on our first meeting.Sould i be worried more than i already am ,this is the bit ive been dreading.

malteserzz Fri 21-Mar-14 16:24:34

Yay for the drains being out Harriet
Feline happy birthday smile
Foo foo glad you got there with the blood eventually !

Love to everyone else
Glad it's the weekend I may open a bottle tonight. Who asked if you could drink during chemo ? I was told yes and I'm glad as think you need a bit if a release sometimes ! If you don't feel nauseous go for it cheers !

harrietv Fri 21-Mar-14 15:32:23

Hi bigger recovery continues, thanks for asking. Bad night last night as sleeping in one spot has given me really bad back ache, think I needed to take stronger pain killers but didn't quite have the energy to sit up and find them. But joy of joys today my drains are out! All 4 went down to 20ml or cc (not quite sure what my measurements were) over night so out they came. And I feel like a new woman. Plan to catch up on that sleep all afternoon.
And my DS2 (5) will hopefully come near me now. He was freaked out by my tubes!

Wren I'm delighted to be off until Sept. Rads will be finished end May or there abouts, so I hope to have a summer of good health with no medical appts and enjoy my time off with my two girls before they go back to school.

Now all I need is lovely summer weather like we got last summer, and I would be totally made up!

foofooyeah Fri 21-Mar-14 14:42:55

Afternoon all

Happy Birthday feline

I had to have blood test this morning and it took 4 goes to get some blood. My veins have just given up. Finally managed to get some from my wrist with phlebotomist holding needle down and me pulling the plunger!

Rash finally seems to be on the way out.

Just had lovely lunch with my friend who's birthday it is today.

Wren48 Fri 21-Mar-14 14:01:15

Glad you've got the injection sorted, Feline. I'll have to do them on the next cycle - not a hope of DH picking up the work as injections make him faint! And happy birthday, although the birthday lark is a bit odd at the moment.

Mom, you must be so pleased to be off till September; I might see if I can organise something similar as the idea of going back to work in the summer holidays does not fill me with joy.

FelineSad Fri 21-Mar-14 13:54:40

Thanks everyone. yes It should really have been done within 24 hrs but my consultant is aware. Yes it's Nulasta.

I will have to get DP to do it next time. Although I will ask the nurse to show me and may manage myself.

feline crossed post. Really, it is not hard at all to do injection yourself. It is just the thought if it before you do it for first time. Your DH would have no problem to do it either.

And a big happy birthday to you !!!

handbags congratulations!!

malt sounds like it is good to be back at work. I just got permission to take 2 months holidays after Rads! So I'm out until Sept.

feline injection is very easy to do yourself. Is it Nulasta? Get nurse to show you how, instruction are also provided with the syringe. I did my last Nulasta injection just this morning.
However it should be administrated between a certain number of days in the cycle. Check with your chemo team. Is there a nurse at your GPs who would do it for you?

FelineSad Fri 21-Mar-14 11:51:03

Morning everyone!

Finally got injection sorted (in theory. Still not seen an actual nurse yet but did have a phone call). DP had offered to sort it but I wanted to give it one last try. I just can't inject myself but may ask DP to be shown how because I can't go through this every month.

Still feeling exhausted today. It's my birthday so I keep getting constant texts which is lovely although slightly bizarre in that usually my birthday passes with little fuss.

Suddenly got hit this morning with a bout of nausea and vomiting. Literally came out of nowhere and I feel fine now. Very odd.

difficultpickle Fri 21-Mar-14 09:29:15

Morning all. I hope everyone has a better day today than most of us seemed to have yesterday.

malt I'm not surprirsed you're knackered. It will take a good while to get 'match fit' after so long off work.

Ds was at home last night for the first time since I came out of hospital. He seems to have grown up over the last few weeks. He also seems more chilled than he has been in a long while. His year do a PGL trip at the end of next term and he was adamant he didn't want to go. Last night he said he did, which is great and gives me hope that he is coping better than I thought with all of this.

kitkat1967 Fri 21-Mar-14 09:25:43

morning all. Have a nice rest today Malt (this is the first Friday that I have actually made it into the office!!).

Today was day 1 of my Race for Life training!! I'm not a runner but did 20 minutes on the treadmill at 7km/hr so I reckon I can build up to 5k. I'm going to enter with both my kids (1 keen, 1 not!!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now